BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2005 3:57:17 AM EDT
I've looked into getting an Otis cleaning kit.
They are expensive, so someone inform me from
their experience. Are Otis kits worth the cost,
and which Otis kit is the best for ARs and AK
type rifles? I own a Bushmaster A4, and I planning
on buying an AK47 type carbine by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#1]
While they will never replace the Dewey rod, bore guide and bench cleaning, in my book the Otis is best toss in your BOB kit on the market.

I have one.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 4:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I am also interested in the Otis cleaning kit . So yes, any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 4:43:35 AM EDT
[#3]
great kit!

get the kit that has all the differnt jags in it. think its like $30-40  

does .22lr all the way to .50,12ga and so on.

Link Posted: 6/22/2005 4:50:45 AM EDT
[#4]
The otis IMHO is much better then the USGI cleaning kit.

Cleans better and quicker, no cheap steel rods that get messed up, I highly recomend it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:17:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Alright, now give input on the Buttstock kit vs a comprehensive kit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:21:43 AM EDT
[#6]
the otis kit

does wide range of caliburs which is packaged in a small little pouch
takes up less room
coated flex rod to keep from damaging bbl.

Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
great kit!

+1 but i got mine for free
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
great kit!

How did you manage that?
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
great kit!

How did you manage that?

He's in the military, which IIRC have been on the receiving end of thousands of these kits, both provided by Otis and others who know what comes in handy for troops in the field......

Mike

ps - RTO = radioman = military  
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 6:41:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Duh, I'm an idiot (smacking my forehead).

I was Navy, but I didn't know RTO=radio.

Which kit did he get, the Tactical or the Professional?
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#11]
bore obstrustions much easier to remove with usgi.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have both.  For AR get the one that has  the rod for  chamber cleaning
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#13]
no brush with the Otis.
In Iraq I actually used both.
The Otis was good for the bore, not much else, buttstock kit took care of the rest.

ETA: Otis claims that one kit cleans everything from .22 to .50 but it only has standard sized attachments (calibre not MM) So I didn't use it much on my 9MM since the .32 ( or is it .38?) calibre brush just didn't  fit right
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 4:14:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
no brush with the Otis.
In Iraq I actually used both.
The Otis was good for the bore, not much else, buttstock kit took care of the rest.

ETA: Otis claims that one kit cleans everything from .22 to .50 but it only has standard sized attachments (calibre not MM) So I didn't use it much on my 9MM since the .32 ( or is it .38?) calibre brush just didn't  fit right

i bought mine at a gunshow here in houston and the representative that was selling them gave me all kinds of extra brushes and what not for whatever calibur i needed at no extra charge.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Cool, sweet deal!
My issued kit did come with bore brushes but I was refering to the "toothbrush" that is in the GI kit. That and patches are what I use the most to clean the chamber, bolt and lower. Otis includes nothing to replace that part of the GI kit so I used both.
To expand further in Iraq I also used a borsnake everyday. Whether I had to fire my weapon that day or not I ran a snake thru to clean out all the dirt and dust that snuck in.

Link Posted: 6/28/2005 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got the Otis Tctical kit. It goes where ever the rifle goes.

I have to agree with the above post...It does not beat a Dewey rod and a bore guide.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I looked at the Otis and the chamber brush is the same USGI crap that snapped when I first started to use it.

I want the cheapest kit for use with my AR-15 and Vepr (7.62) but the only thing I can see worth getting is the memory flex rod and a few brushes and jags... right?
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Where will you get a GI kit fo an AK?

I would look at a bore snake........................................
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I decided on the Otis Tactical kit.
Thanks for all the info & input, guys.
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I actually have the same problem. I wanted to get a nice kit that would cover my .223 AR-15 and my 7.62x39 Vepr.
I ended up ordering:

40" memory flex rod
Brass T-Handle
.22 Cal Bore Brush
.30 Cal bore Brush
.22-.27 cal slot tip
.30-.50 cal slot tip

I didn't go with the slightly more expensive "military" accessories because I'm not sure what size threading they use and I don't see the point.

Total cost was $22 shipped. It should cover both calibers. I looked over all of their kits and was not impressed by the extra accessories. Like for instance, the fiber optic bore tool - I just use a small maglite.
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I found it works MUCH better than the standard USGI kit.  The coated cleaning cable is an excellent idea to keep the rifling from getting marred up.  

Read the directions carefully as how to properly attatch the cleaning patch.  When doing it the right way it is VERY tight.  (Which is a good thing since you're cleaning the bbl.)  But folding it the wrong way can get it lodged in the bbl.  I've done this twice.  It can be pulled out but you may need a vice and your hand will pay for it.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 4:43:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I was just going to use cheap patches with the OTIS kit. $6/100 OTIS patches is rather pricey. I hear that 2 uses per each OTIS patch is more realistic than their claim of 6 uses. Also, I cannot purchase OTIS patches locally so that means I'm dependent on mail ordering for a resupply.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't say one kit is really too much better than the other, the OTIS works for more calibers than the USGI kit, but those are weapon specific, other than that either will work.  

But than again the OTIS has more of a cool guy factor to it, that is often a selling point in itself.  Often you see guys getting stuff just for that reason when they have a perfect good issue piece of gear.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I wouldn't say one kit is really too much better than the other, the OTIS works for more calibers than the USGI kit, but those are weapon specific, other than that either will work.  

But than again the OTIS has more of a cool guy factor to it, that is often a selling point in itself.  Often you see guys getting stuff just for that reason when they have a perfect good issue piece of gear.

+1

If the chamber brush in my USGI kit was made properly I'd probably have kept it.
But the OTIS kit comes in handy when it comes time for copper removal. I don't have to buy a bore guide or a 36" 1-piece rod either. A 40" memory flex rod can fit in a pouch.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Like I said:  Those patches are really tight and will do a spectacular job of cleanind the bbl.  I'm sure regular 'ol patches will do just as good a job.  

I never have had to run more than three patches through the bbl.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Otis is the best, and I don't even see a need for a Dewey at all.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

How do you actually quantify "best" when your talking about a product that does the same thing that about every other product out there does?  What prevents someone form placing a tight patch and pulling the rod and patch through?  

One thing I have noticed with all the non-rod cleaning devices is that often the crown gets a little rubbing because people tend to pull at slight angles vice strait through.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you actually quantify "best" when your talking about a product that does the same thing that about every other product out there does?  What prevents someone form placing a tight patch and pulling the rod and patch through?  

One thing I have noticed with all the non-rod cleaning devices is that often the crown gets a little rubbing because people tend to pull at slight angles vice strait through.

So how do you quantify best? Hauling around a 36"-40" 1-piece straight solid rod? So when I pull the patch through using a bore guide, I'll need about 6' of clearance for my 24" AR-15.

The boresnake worked great for my rifles but I wanted something that used disposable patches and could also help remove copper. I'll still keep the snakes as field cleaning kits becuase they're simple and fast to use. Imagine bringing a 36" Dewey 1-piece rod into the middle of Baghdad... assuming it doesn't snap right away.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't own a Dewey, I do have a solid one on my cleaning bench.  But these days I clean ever couple of trips to the range and don't get to anal about it.

I took a otis with me to Iraq, at first I would use the Otis kit but I ended up using my issue kit as often.  It did as good a job and parts were easy to replace and on the many cases I forgot and placed the patch on first I didn't have to the handle off to drop it down the tube .
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I don't own a Dewey, I do have a solid one on my cleaning bench.  But these days I clean ever couple of trips to the range and don't get to anal about it.

I took a otis with me to Iraq, at first I would use the Otis kit but I ended up using my issue kit as often.  It did as good a job and parts were easy to replace and on the many cases I forgot and placed the patch on first I didn't have to the handle off to drop it down the tube .

So you see problems with muzzle crown damage from using the Otis, but do not see a problem with the sectioned rods rubbing against the muzzle crown or parts of the bore? I know they're quite smooth to the touch but if they loosen a bit...  
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you see problems with muzzle crown damage from using the Otis, but do not see a problem with the sectioned rods rubbing against the muzzle crown or parts of the bore? I know they're quite smooth to the touch but if they loosen a bit...  

Not really, we are talking combat weapons here and also if you clean the weapon the way listed in the manual  (not the way I was trained at boot/OCS/TBS) with dropping the rod through the back of the receiver and pulling it it shouldn't be an issue.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are many advantages to the Otis besides pulling a tight patch.

I've spent quite a bit of time listening to their sales pitch at tradeshows, and see the system in action in a cut-away barrel.   While I can't recall all of the advantages right off the top of my head, there were many.   Self centering ability, ability of the cable to flex and rotate, allowing the patch to follow the rifling better, and many things I'm forgetting.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:14:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I can't really think of any reason not to use a otis kit other than being cheap
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 4:23:11 AM EDT
[#34]
My kit is supposed to arrive today! I'm actually quite excited!
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 4:32:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
There are many advantages to the Otis besides pulling a tight patch.

I've spent quite a bit of time listening to their sales pitch at tradeshows, and see the system in action in a cut-away barrel.   While I can't recall all of the advantages right off the top of my head, there were many.   Self centering ability, ability of the cable to flex and rotate, allowing the patch to follow the rifling better, and many things I'm forgetting.

But that is the point, often the sale pitch is just that a sales pitch.  I have a couple of OTIS kits and about every other weapons kit you can name to include 2 variants of the foul out system.  And looking at it objectively, you get about the same result out of all of them other than maybe the foul outs (which are pretty hard to use with gas operated systems).
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I end up carrying and using both an OTIS and GI issue kit.  The GI issue rods with a patch are handy for reaching in and laying lube in the receivers.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The otis IMHO is much better then the USGI cleaning kit.

Cleans better and quicker, no cheap steel rods that get messed up, I highly recomend it.

Our unit issues all otis buttstock kits, we have no traditional kits. I bought a pouched kit because I was issued the saw and there was no place to stick the butt stock kit. I will never use a USGI kit again. Zero complaints.

The patches are definately worth it too. The most I have ever used in one sitting is 6 and that got the barrel sparkling. I usually get 3 uses per patch, never more than that. Keep in mind, I use mine on a M249 and shoot a shit-ton more ammo in one go.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 3:31:14 AM EDT
[#38]
What do you use to clean the SAW that gets the bore clean in 6 patches?
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 3:40:55 AM EDT
[#39]

The most I have ever used in one sitting is 6 and that got the barrel sparkling. I usually get 3 uses per patch,

Quoted:

that would make 18 regular patches

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 2:32:20 AM EDT
[#40]
I've got an Otis Armorer level cleaning kit and honestly, for the money, I'm not impressed.  It is overly complicated and it is not as easy to use as a real cleaning rod with a patch.  I use the otis kit if I'm traveling, but for real cleaning, I prefer a rod and chamber guide.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I was just going to use cheap patches with the OTIS kit. $6/100 OTIS patches is rather pricey. I hear that 2 uses per each OTIS patch is more realistic than their claim of 6 uses. Also, I cannot purchase OTIS patches locally so that means I'm dependent on mail ordering for a resupply.

Almost any square patch except the real small ones work ok if you stick one corner through the eye. The more patch through the eye the tighter the pull so err on the loose 'cuz you can really get that sucker stuck in the throat.

Regards,
Mild Bill
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 4:32:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Where can I order Otis products online?
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Where can I order Otis products online?

Not the cheapest source, but you can order all the kits and the individual pieces straight from Otis at www.otisgun.com

The full kits and patches can be found a little cheaper at all the normal cleaning supply places, Brownells, Midway, CTD, etc.

Futuristic
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#44]
I have an Otis Tactical kit and it's all I use on all of my Rifles and Pistols.  It does just as good of a job if not better than any rod, and it's easier to handle IMO.  It eliminates the need for a boreguide.  I don't see why some don't think it does as good of a job.  It pulls patches just lie a rod can oush or pull them.  I can clean guns faster with it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#45]
It appears the 16-12 gauge shotgun patches are the 2.5"-3" square patches that are referred to in the Otis instructions. Meijer has them for $5/300. I seriously do not see how Otis round patches are going to make a huge difference.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#46]

metroplex had this to say about robocop...

CLP, otis patches and a otis bore brush. Swear to god. It looks mirror shiny the whole way down from both ends. Maybe my barrel was a freak. I *did* clean it until uber clean each time, perhaps it was cumulative and I just repressed memories of pulling patch after patch through the barrel when I first got it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#47]
I love my Otis kit.Have owned it for seems like 6or7 years.It has worked on my ARs,AKs,pstols and rimfires.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#48]
I have an OTIS kit and use it to clean my M14; the flexible rod is the cat's ass for cleaning from the muzzle.  I really like it.

There is a kit for the M4 that fits into the pistol grip. Not much buttstock storage on a standard M4 ;)
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Get the comprehensive kit, then only put the parts you need in your buttstock.

That way when you are at home, you have all of the other jags and goodies for
your other weapons......
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't doubt it has it's niche, but their marketing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

They claim to be the official issue GI kit - and that is nowhere NEAR the case.  With the loosening of purchase restrictions for units, many suppy sergeants, S-4s have ordered them in bulk for their troopers - they do this for the same reason you see so much Blackhawk CRAP out there - they are flooded with their marketing.  Many supply folks don't even realize you can still order the proper cleaning kit through the supply system.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top