Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2005 8:01:35 AM EDT
I'm going to be putting my AR in a case for the next 3-6 months. Any procedures other than a good cleaning recommended & exterior rub down with CLP? The case is a plastic hard case & is foam cell (the kind with the peaks) lined. I've heard different guys talk about pitting problems, just want to make sure my AR isn't all ate up when I get home to her.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Storing inside a foam lined case is not good in that moisture will be trapped inside it. Granted most of the AR is aluminum, but the barrel, bolt, carrier,etc. is not. I would store it another way or at the very least with some dessicant inside the case. I would also oil the bore before storing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Put a HEAVY coat of CLP on all steel parts (inside and out) and it should be fine...

If you do get trace amounts of rust on the exterior it will come off with a bronze brush and CLP.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I can attest to the foam case being a moisture attracter.  Had a non-firing Civil war era gun stored
in a foam case for a year- actually had white mold on the stock when I finally got around to unpacking
stuff from a move.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#4]
the convoluted (peak & valley) foam is typically open celled 2.0 pcf grey polyurethane ester foam

it WILL absorb moisture, oil, etc...

I would probably get one of those gun rag bags and bag the rifle 1st, then put it in the case
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top