Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 4:37:35 PM EDT
Today i got my first malfunction, this rifle has seen around 60 rounds at the time. Its quite cold here in MI with temps in the 30's. Anways I shot my first 11 rounds of Winchester, then after that was gone I switched to the Wolf 55 FMJ poly coating. I shot around 8 shots then let  my cousin have a turn, he fired once the bullet extracted fine he pulles trigger again and nothing just a click, AFAIK it did not fire. So i went up thinking it was empty and it appered like it jammed. I proceded to pull on the charging handle and it would only move 1/4" and no matter how hard it would not budge. Took it downstairs and we could not get this live round to budge. We tried the smack it on the ground while pulling charging handle but still did not move and I was not sure how hard to hit it.  So im taking it to the smith monday night.

Is this common for a new rifle? Is the chamber just breaking in?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Im not sure that it really matters if your rifle was new or old...I have seen it many times in the military. I know you said you can get your charging handle to move , but can you see the Bolt and carrier  move also?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, the bolt carrier is the only thing moving, probably only 1/4" though. The extracter will not move though as its fully inserted which makes me think the case was to big.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is some pictures, im not the greatest with the upper parts.

Bolt carrier pushed in as far as can go.

Charging handle pulled to fullest extent (like 1/2 inch)
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say this is not a typical failure.At least I have never seen this happen.Much less not being able to clear the jam with the usual tactics.
Once you get the weapon clear,clean the chamber extremely well using a solvent and a chamber brush.
Then use some different ammo to test.I'd recommend the next outing you use quality brass cased ammo.Then see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea it ate up the 50 rounds of Winchester fine. What makes you think its not a normal failure?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the exact same thing happen at the range the other day with my new upper.  It  jamed just as yours did on the 58th round fired through it.  I was at a indoor range so me and the rangemaster took it too the back.  I pulled down on the CH while he used a hammer and a piece of brass or something to tap the carrier back.  Once the round came out the bullet was pushed all the way back into the casing causing it to bulge which is why it would not come out.  He seemed to think that it was a bad round.  I was using Win White box.  

I went back out and fired 211 more rounds without a single problem with the same ammo.  Not really sure what the problem was but I would be willing to bet it was a bad round, maybe dented or something to begin with.  Couldn't really tell because it was so jacked up once we got it out.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#7]
So he tapped directly on the bolt carrier? Or you pulled on one side of CH handle and he taped on the other?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I would not beat on the CH, or stress it.It will damage rather easy.I would take the upper off the lower and clear it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#9]
We did we seperated the upper from lower, still could not remove it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Try taking something like needle nose pliers or a screw driver and putting it through the ejection port cover place the tip of the needle nose pliers or screw driver in front to the bolt carrier and pull the bolt assembly to the rear. If this works you have had what is known as a bolt override and you will find a round up high in the upper receiver where the charging handle is. Make sure you do not have a bolt over ride before you do anything else each time you pull back on the charging handle with a bolt override you make the situation worse. Bolt overrides are caused by faulty magazines. Good luck
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#11]
The mag is a USGI 30 rounder, so i would hope its not a bad mag.  Also how easy it is to set this round off, im assuming its quite had but wanan be careful.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I ran a cleaning rod though, the round is indeed in barrel. Now he pulled the trigger and it went click, the hammer fell, could this indicate a bad round, or did it just not hit it hard enough.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Could be a dead primer, or the bround can still be hot, if the rifle was not in full battery when the rifle went click.

When you working on it keep your self clear of the muzzel and ass end. Untill you get the casing out of the gun the rifle is still hot.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Could be a dead primer, or the bround can still be hot, if the rifle was not in full battery when the rifle went click.

When you working on it keep your self clear of the muzzel and ass end. Untill you get the casing out of the gun the rifle is still hot.

Yea, i see no way of getting it out, so im taking it to smith tomarrow night, he probably will pop it out in 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#15]
If the bolt will not close all the way you can not remove upper from lower. I had a similar problem with Olympic ammo yesterday, But the round was not live. A spent round was not ejected and as a result it was refeed and jammed. To clear it I applied as much pressure as I could on the CH and at the same time bounced the rifle on the butt. after about four bounces it cleared.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Well the bolt carrier is sticking out about 1/4 inch where the threading for buffertube is. So yes it just takes some wiggling to remove the two.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Well the smith got it out in like 5 minutes, with a brass punch. I guess the neck was 15 thousants to large and deformed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well the bolt carrier is sticking out about 1/4 inch where the threading for buffertube is. So yes it just takes some wiggling to remove the two.

Yeap retracting the push and pivot pin will allow the upper to be removed from the lower,it does not matter if the carrier is set back into the buffer tube.Might take a little wiggle here and there like you said but it will come off.
Good to see you got the problem fixed.I hate broken weapons.Drives me nuts until they are fixed and operational.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:04:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeap retracting the push and pivot pin will allow the upper to be removed from the lower,it does not matter if the carrier is set back into the buffer tube.Might take a little wiggle here and there like you said but it will come off.
Good to see you got the problem fixed.I hate broken weapons.Drives me nuts until they are fixed and operational.

Yea same here, i just kept thinking about it and it has not been able to be clean yet :(
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I would not beat on the CH, or stress it.It will damage rather easy.I would take the upper off the lower and clear it.

Don't you remember your time in the military, and how they told you to clear a problem like this?  The CH will take the beating it was designed to....
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So he tapped directly on the bolt carrier? Or you pulled on one side of CH handle and he taped on the other?

He tapped directly on the bolt carrier as I pulled down on the CH.  
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top