Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2005 4:32:55 PM EDT
I'm sure that this has been beat to death, but........
Cleaned and lubed my M4 last week. Went to the range on Friday.  Towards the end of the day I had a couple of FTF.  I posed on the other forum a help topic about FTF's.  I pulled the Carrier out and it is dry as a desert. I shot maybe 300 rounds. I use Hoppe's to clean, I could use some cleaning and Lube Pointers!
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I try to leave my ARs as dry as possible.  The Oly works exceptionaly well that way.  I have fired over 1000 rounds through her in a day without cleaning it until afterwards and dry as a bone.  Shes fired 18,000+ rounds and still going strong!
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Omit the Hoppes completely, just use CLP for cleaning and lubrication as per the manual.  I'm partial to BreakFree but SLIP2000 looks very promising...

Link Posted: 1/1/2005 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Here comes the question..... How does CLP work? How does it clean and lubricate both.
How do you apply it and how much??
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Download the USMC M16A2 Operators Manual

www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/

It dosent take much to lube for operation.

I use CLP liberally when I clean or store, but I wipe most of it off before use.

I too am partial to Break Free brand CLP
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#5]
CLP works the best..
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer to use FP-10.But Break Free works too and is much easier to find.
When finished cleaning I apply a thin film of oil to the carrier assembly with a 7/8" stencil brush, and a 12ga. mop or oiled patch inside the upper leaving a thin film of oil there also.
Put a drop of oil on the cam pin.
Thats usually enough to run on up to about 500+ rounds without running dry for me.Especially with the FP-10.
If you do not want to use a CLP and would rather use a stand alone lube/protectant...check out Mil-comm TW-25B and MC-2500 oil.Its great stuff.Just make sure to follow the application instructions.
www.mil-comm.com/
www.mil-comm.com/main.cfm?cat=Application_Instructions
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 2:55:35 AM EDT
[#7]
use fp-10 for oil and clean.
When I just wnat to use a Cleaner, I'll use Shoter Choice extream clean. It easy and works.
Other cleaners:
Butch Bore Shine
Shoters Choice Mc7

Some Oils;
G96
Eezox
tw25-b (grease)
BF CLP.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 2:56:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Brake Cleaner, Bore Snake, and Mobil 1

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:32:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn I've been using is since about 1988 and it's been fine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:21:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I am using SLIP 2000 Gun Lubricant/CLP... a quick search on SLIP 2000 can give you plenty of info.

I've also used Breakfree CLP (for a very long time) and FP10 CLP. All three are good products.

In my experience, SLIP 2000 does the best at cleaning, lubricating and protecting. FP10 does better than Breakfree at cleaning and lubing; but doesn't protect as well as Breakfree.

Keep in mind though that even the best CLPs only remove about 85-90% of powder residue and an occasional hit with a good solvent may be necessary every now and then.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Try the KG-4 for lube. And KG 1,2,or12 for cleaning. I also use the SACS kit, that was featured in SWAT magazine and the md ar-15 web site.  I use it in conjuction with the KG products. If you do not mind me asking.  In what way did the Militech-1 fail you?  I have been using it for years and it has always worked great.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Try the KG-4 for lube. And KG 1,2,or12 for cleaning.  I like the kg4 better than the fp-10 and militec it has corrosion resistance properties and lubes as well or better.  I also use the SACS kit, that was featured in SWAT magazine and the md ar-15 web site.  I use it in conjuction with the KG products. If you do not mind me asking.  In what way did the Militech-1 fail you?  I have been using it for years and it has always worked great.

Well...maybe it's me (still learning) but I went to the range shot about 300 rounds and started to get
FTF's. It may be the last 2 mags I used (almost NIW) , I got 4 FTF's with 2 differant mags (Labelle 30's)
I asked myself, and the forum for some thoughts, but when I pulled the bolt carrier out it was dry as a bone.  I have used Militec on my auto pistols and I believed in their properties of adherance to metal,
we use a similar  product added to transmissions ( my job) to adhere to the valves in Valve Bodies.
I was  surprised  that no lube was left. Just power residue and the bolt carrier did not just slide out, it felt bound up for the first 5mm of travel when I was extracting the Bolt Carrier.

Maybe it's me???
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I have never heard anybody say that about militec, but there is always a first.  i always have found it makes my rifles work better than any of the old standbys, especially bolt actions.  People who feel the bolts when they are lubed with the militech cant believe it.  Just my 2 cents, Anyhow, if you like how well it lubes give the KG-4 a shot it does a equal or better job.
matt
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey................my neighbor is the Militec distributer for Nebraska, I am going to have to do some tests in the spring. I still haven't ruled out the mags.  I agree on the feel of actions after a fresh application.
I just didn't expect my action to reveal dry residue.
WTF
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe you need to put a bit more lube on your rifle, althuogh mlitech says to put it on and wipe it off, I always leave a little more on it than that.
matt
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone tried XF-7 grease?

Tack
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Test samples (sheet metal, metal nails, etc...) treated with militec-1 rust about as badly as an untreated bare metal sample.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#18]
militech is a grat lube, but doesn't protect the metal or clean anything.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:22:05 AM EDT
[#19]
The chlorinated paraffins you find in Militec-1 are also used (Same CAS#) in FP-10.

FP-10 uses sulfonic acid as a corrosion inhibitor - I do not know how "petroleum, sulfonic acid, calcium salts" (the CAS # referenced in FP-10 as a corrosion inhbitor) actually inhibits corrosion.

At this point, I would like to find something that will lube/protect the rifle but not cause skin damage with long term exposure.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#20]
KG-4.  Its supposed to be eco friendly, protects very well and lubes great like militec or fp-10
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top