Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2004 7:13:02 AM EDT
I tried some of the Militec product recently and thought it might have done a slighly better job of keeping carbon deposits from forming and/or being able to remove them a bit easier.  Anyone else expereince that?

How does Militec compare to FP-10, which I seem to hear quite a bit about?  Rem Oil w/Teflon? Or do most of you just use regular CLP?

Thanks!  CR
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Militec is a good lube but absolutely horrible in rust protection. A lot of folks will not use Militec because of that and because of their marketing tactics which are full of s***!

You will be much better off with Break Free CLP, FP-10, TW25B, SLIP2000 ect. All lube great but also protect against corrosion well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Forgot to mention the Rem oil. I feel it is not as good as the others I mentioned. If you read the small print on the back of the bottle/can it says do not get on wood, plastics and paints which means it is damaging to them so why use it when there are so many better lubes that also do not damage certain parts of the firearm?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Remoil may not be the best, but it is comparatively cheap and fine for most applications.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]
i started with breakfree... the bottle lost pressure before it was empty... felt that the lub was too liquidy...

switched to FP-10... love it to death!  keeps my gun cleaner... stays lubed better.. doesn't attract as much crap to it...

thinking about trying slip2000... heard good things about it... but we'll see.. no reason to switch right now... and its not like i'm in the desert...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Militec did not pass Army tests.  But I still see that stuff being given to our suppply sergeant for trial.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#6]
FP10 is the best, second is Breakfree CLP.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Militec did not pass Army tests.  But I still see that stuff being given to our suppply sergeant for trial.

Yeah, this was all I was issued to lube my M9 with last time I cleaned it.  I gave it a bath in the stuff after reading about its dismal corrosion prevention...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Is anyone still using Tetra?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Tasteless and honorless advertising tactics aside, Militec lubes as well as any oil, but lacks the protective qualities of plain old valvoline 10W-30.

Rem oil is CHEAP!!! There is just enough teflon in the stuff to say there is some.
It's runny, so it penetrates well.
It also seems to have a rather nasty habit of following gravity back to the wood stock/ receiver junction while the arm is stored in a muzzle up position.

Made some good money repairing oil soaked and split shotgun stocks in the past.....
It's cheap, and works for the 2-3 annual shots on deer, or the dozen shots taken at the quackers between cleanings.

I also like the stuff for hinges, the hair clippers, the wifes Bicycle, the weedwhacker, and whatever else I can use it on untill the last can is exhausted untill I can go back to plain old generic motor oil at a dollar quart for the same applications.
4 cans has lasted a LOOOONG time!

Break Free and FP-10 are solid performers.
Ya can't go wrong with either.

S-28

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:57:54 AM EDT
[#10]
FP-10 is absolute garbage when it comes to rust protection.

Supertech Dexron III/Mercon and CLP did much better for corrosion protection than FP-10 or Militec-1.

However, Militec-1 appears to lube much better than CLP and it makes the action of my Vepr and my AR-15 much smoother. I haven't run into any "stubborn" carbon deposits in the field. The rifles operate just fine with either CLP or Militec-1. However, since the Vepr is painted with a baked lacquer finish, anything that wears out the metal will show up very easily because the paint would be missing. Militec-1 has stopped the wear whereas I lost a lot of paint due to excessive wear from using CLP.

I wouldn't hesitate to coat the exterior of the rifle with CLP but I use Militec-1 on the areas that see a lot of wear and haven't run into problems.

I firmly believe Militec-1 failed 63460D spec due to lack of corrosion protection and possibly being a skin irritant and there may be other issues (political perhaps).
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#11]
FP-10 has always been a solid performer for me in terms of rust protection and lubrication. Where is Blankwaffe98 when you need him
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Im here.Busy doing metroplex's salt water corrosion test.
Been talking about that in the Militec thread.
Hey since you have some FP-10 also...how about you trying metroplex's salt water test also.
Raymond
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Goofy thing about a CLP is that it attacks the bond of carbon and the steel.
Same as a Bond between a paint finish and steel.

Wear in this regard  cannot be judged by the paint finish wearing off.

Militec is what it is.
Re badged wonderlube(Duralube?) as advertised on late night infomercials.

(The stuff also has a lousy rating in pressure resistence)

CLP's , lubes, preservatives, and any combination of the three need to be repected for their whole in utility.

I hate Militec for their dishonorable claims and slander of our protectors, but the stuff has it's place.

It is but a lube of limited utility, but it does well in that regard.

S-28

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:18:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Wear in this regard cannot be judged by the paint finish wearing off.

The paint used on the Vepr isn't your regular Krylon. It's some baked enamel that does not come off unless you use solvents.

CLP does not remove the paint. If it did, I'd see paint coming off everywhere and not just on the wear areas. It's very easy to see where the wear areas are on the Vepr because the paint comes off completely and you can see the bear metal.

With CLP, the action of the Vepr isn't very smooth (this is a subjective test) while after treated with militec-1, the action is a lot smoother.

I'll have to get my hands on some more FP-10. All I had at the time of my test was a small free sample packet that they do not seem to offer anymore.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top