Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2004 11:22:08 AM EDT
Looking to refinish a couple of old lower receivers - what is the best, most durable product for some one to use at home?

thanks,

Paul
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a thread on this below, follow stickmans link and use Moly Resin.  I have it on my Glock slide, it is real easy to spray and very very durable if you do it right.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#3]
AlumaHyde is a great product for what it is, there is no doubt about it.  If you are looking for a higher quality and more professional product, look at the Norrells or Duracoat.

For best, most durable, most economical and easiest to apply, I would vote Norrells.

Read this link and see what you think.

www.coloradoshooting.org/ar_refinishing.htm

The only before and after pics I have are of a 1911, but it should give you the same basic idea.  Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

BEFORE

AFTER
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Doing all the metal parts, but none of the plastics?  I would say 3 ARs.

Doing the upper, lower and carry handle on the below AR15 was about 25% (or a little less) of a small bottle.  It was done in grayish black Norrells.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always thought and still do Aluma-Hyde is the best all round finish especially for handguards and small items, including mags.  I do like gun-kote for an AK type rifle or even an FAL, but I'm going to have to order some of the Norrells Resin and try it.  It does look like a quality product.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
AlumaHyde is a great product for what it is, there is no doubt about it.  If you are looking for a higher quality and more professional product, look at the Norrells or Duracoat.

For best, most durable, most economical and easiest to apply, I would vote Norrells.

Read this link and see what you think.

www.coloradoshooting.org/ar_refinishing.htm

The only before and after pics I have are of a 1911, but it should give you the same basic idea.  Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

BEFORE
www.airforcesecuritypolice.com/invisionboard/uploads/post-3-1091391665.jpg

AFTER
www.airforcesecuritypolice.com/invisionboard/uploads/post-3-1091391695.jpg

Man I like.Looks just like my Para P14-45.
Ive used the Aluma-hyde II on a couple long guns and it looks great.Im partial to the dark park on my rifles.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Ive had real good luck with KG gunKote.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top