Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 12:09:15 PM EDT
I have purchased all the Mil-Comm products and ready to go.  I have the degreaser, the thick lube oil and the thin oil along with 91% alcohol.  I have a preban colt M4 I shot back in November about 1,000 rounds and never cleaned it.  I know I did a bad thing.  I want to know what to do if I find rust anywhere.  What to do, what not to do, what product(s) to use.  Any help is appreciated.  Ralph
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I really do Not think that you will find any rust.  Go ahead and disassemble it as per normal cleaning procedure.  IF you find any rust, post back again and tell us where exactly the rust is - from there we can offer specific advice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Flitz is what I use on rust found on my firearms (which rarely occurs), although, as mentioned, doubt you'll find any (unless you were using corrosive ammo).

It will when used properly remove the rust and leave a protective coating so it don't come back. Ya can find it at any quality gun-shop or it's sold for generally twice what it costs at your local gun-show.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:49:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have used G-96 and FP-10 with a brass brush (same style as issue m16 only brass bristles) with excellent results for removing rust.

Flitz works well.

A slower method  I have used was soak the parts in Hopes No.9 for a few months.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top