Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2003 5:00:53 PM EDT
Everybody know that tapered area on the back of the bolt that gets SUPER gunked up even after 200-500rds???

How clean do you guys get it???

I mean I have 500rds through it the last time I shot it, a few days ago.....

There seems to be a HUGE amount of accumulation of carbon.  I'm using a plaque scrapper like a dentist would use but DAMN.....

Does it need to get back to smooth?  
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the military suggests using a bronze bore brush to clean the bolt tail, though that seems really slow to me.

Personally, I use the mouth of a brass .308 empty case.  (I occasionally square the mouth of the empty with a file to keep it sharp.)

I’ve heard of guys using a pocketknife to clean it, but I prefer not to use steel on steel.

I’ve also heard of guys using a wire brush in a Dremel tool to clean it.

I suspect soaking it in Slip 2000 Carbon Cutter would also do it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I wipe it down with some CLP.  That's it.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I hit it with CLP and the front portion of the chamber brush (same curve), then hit any remnants with an ice pick.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:16:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Spray can of Berrymans Carburetor cleaner and small brass wire brush. Made for dissolving carbon and varnishes. Do it in a very well ventilated area, like outside. I don't even spray this stuff in the garage, vapors to strong. The stuff eats paint, finishes, plastics, carbon, graffiti on concrete walls, etc... Use gloves, the stuff can be absorbed through skin and cause permanent nerve damage. Lubricate thoroughly after.

My $0.02
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Armalite's recommendation is to leave it.  The build-up is self limiting and won't hurt anything.

If you really must go after it, I have used some elbow grease, some solvent, and an old bore brush.  For the really stubborn chunks, I've had good success with a small penknife blade.  Scrapes right off.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Save one of your empty .223 cases and use the "mouth" of it to clean it. The Radius of the .223 case matches the radius of the bolt tail pretty good, it also catches the carbon inside the empty case.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top