Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2003 6:30:58 AM EDT
Am I right in assuming that you dont clean the gas tube.I have read things that state you should never clean the inside of gas tubes.
Dont they get carboned up in use?
Please can someone put me straight on this before I go poking anything down my gas tubes.
I havent clean one yet.......Only the rest of the gun, but some one told me the other day, Yep you need to clean the crud outa that as well.
Whats the truth?????
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't stick anything down the gas tube... I'd bet most gas tubes that are replaced are replaced due to something like a super long pipe cleaner stuck in it, not a firing related blockage...

I've pulled gas tubes on AR's with a great many rounds down the barrel and have never seen anything but the slightest discoloration and carbon in them... You hear they're 'self cleaning' and it seems to be an accurate statement... There is a great deal of pressure in the gas tube with every round fired keeping the junk to a minimum.

I'd figure you'd be replacing the gas tube due to wear from the carrier key long before any sort of carboned blockage caused any issues.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#2]
THANKS.......
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top