Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2003 6:55:14 PM EDT
I need to know what you guys think....

I would like to move my collection down to the basement for storage but it is unfinished.  I guess what I am most worried about is the amount of moisture in the air (I do not want anything to rust or wear).  I will be storing both my guns and ammunition in the basement.  

I live in Nebraska so weather is an issue.  It can go from -5 degrees to 105 degrees.  

Thanks for the help...
    03Mav
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Ammo can be taken care of by keeping all of it in ammo cans with good seals.  I tend to pack mine in the winter, up stairs during cold weather.  Thus with forced air heat the humidity is low.

Would get a de-humidifier for the area of the basement which is the gun room / area.  Also keep an emergency sump pump and hose around, just in case.

Would think about putting a heater (light bulb or a little safer is the metal cased golden rod) in your safe and possible added indicator desicant (at least tells when humidity is higher for a long period of time).

While a little easy to tip / drag, one could think about making a base for the safe to keep of the cold floor and above any light flooding (same for spacing away from block / cold walls).

Also would wander over to Brownells and look / request a paper catalog.  Also consider increasing oiling, inpartiuclar the bore.  Insert my standard plug for Brownell's Rust Preventive No. 2 here [;)]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top