Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 5:17:42 PM EDT
I'm wondering if there needs to be a difference.  When I shoot the M-16 system, it's usually 300-500 rounds in a day, and the whole gun gets cleaned internally and externally from front to back.  It's a pain, but the high temps and extra crud that gets in the upper just builds up to the point that I basically do depot level cleaning maintenance on the gun.

On the AR-15, I may only shoot 50 rounds and usually its at such a slower pace that the heat buildup and whatnot seems to be such that the gun really doesnt get that dirty.  I still clean the AR, it just doesnt get to be stripped completely down from end to end.  

Perhaps it's the number of rounds fired, but I think its the extreme heat build up from full auto fire that makes the M-16 one dirty dog to clean at the end of the day.  Is it just me, or am I getting to be taking this cleaning and maintenance thing too seriously...???

Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
yup.

pretty much identical.

M16 might be a bit more indepth, and more rounds goign through it. But pretty much the same procedure.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top