Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 8:19:20 AM EDT
Hi all, hope this doesn't sound stupid, but how do you replace the gas rings on the bolt? Do you just pull them off with a pair of needlenose and push the new ones on like retaining "C" clips. Just never done it and havn't seen anyone do it and want to be sure I do it right. Thanks in advance
                           Ted in Va.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Just spiral them on one end at a time is what I've done.

Smoothly stretch it at an angle over the nipple end, then when you get the first part of the c-clip into the trench start to move the rest of the c-clip into the ring trench.

Don't try spin the bolt as you put the rings on as if it were a screw, I just us the spiral description to indicate you move the rings onto the bolt with the ends uneven ie, on end of the opening higher than the other.

Hope this helps, the removal is the same just get one end of a ring out of the trench and slowly spiral it up the bolt, working the rest of the ring out of the trench as you go.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Stagger the open ends of the rings also, so that they are not all lined up with each other (after they're all on). Space them out more or less evenly around the bolt.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top