Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2003 11:54:34 PM EDT
Will BC Bore Scrubber and CLP react nasty to each other?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say there would be no problem as long as all the bore scrubber is dry patched from the bore before applying the clp.
After using any solvent and dry patching I always run a patch or two of 91% isopropyl or denatured alcohol through the bore and dry patch once again.That makes sure any solvent residue is removed that may affect the quality of the lubricant.
Mixing the two in liquid form would prbably cause the clp to gum up or just make it worthless.
Raymond
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Blankwaffe98

Alcohols contain water and I wouldn't run that through the barrel, even small quantities.  Breakcleaner would be better although I don't think anything is needed after dry patching.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree,dry patching the solvent from the bore is probably all thats needed.
Yeah the alcohol contains 9% water but it flashes very fast,not to mention the dry patching and oiling after using it.
Using brake cleaner opens up some concerns when using it to flush other solvents,epecially ammonia and chlorinated based solvents.
Any chlorinated solvents or otherwise could react with the trace amounts of ammonia creating hydrochloric acids etc.etc..
Most solvents do no react well together and thats why its recommended to flush the barrels with alcohol before switching solvents.
Also trace amounts of solvents can create problems with some lubricants.
And some of the brake cleaners leave a film behind just as the bore solvents.Some are even made using alcohol.
I use a patch or two dampened with alcohol and have for years.Never had a problem.
All my black powder and mauser rifles I clean with hot water and soap after firing corrosive ammo and then ammonia based solvents for the copper.Followed by a patch of alcohol,dry patch or two and then oil.
So Im not affraid of the water content as its never caused a problem.You just cant let the alcohol or water stay in the bore very long.
The chrome lined bore of an AR15 even lessens the concern of corrosion.
Thanks for the warning though.
Raymond
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top