Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2002 7:54:55 AM EDT
Does anyone use brake cleaning spray (available for under $1 from just about any auto parts store) to clean their AR's?  It works wonders for blasting the crud out of a handgun.  However, as a new AR owner, I am a bit nervous about the types of chemicals I spray on my rifle.  I don't want to do anything to hurt it!
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't, ya might [b]Break[/b] it, however I don't see anything in the "Brake" Cleaner spray that would harm it.[;)]

Personally, I use the SuperTech 2000 carb cleaner to rinse out the Sweets 7.62 bore cleaner and gas-tube on mine, followed by CLP for lube.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd be carefull not to get brake cleaner on any plastic parts. If you do use it make sure you lubricate afterwards. It will remove ALL oil and lube that is already in you weapon.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I forgot to mention that I always give metal surfaces the once-over with a good protectant after using brake cleaner on a handgun!  Thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 4:17:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I routinely use both brake and carb cleaner on all my guns.  Have done so for several years now and it has never harmed anything.  I prefer Gumout Carb/Choke cleaner as it does not leave the parts as dry.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Brake Cleaner will work well.  Don't worry about it on the plastic on an AR.  Won't hurt it a bit.  Just be sure to re-oil the metal after you clean it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#6]
yrac, I was also a little concerned about using brake cleaner on my weapon, it seems to me like a strong chemical when you use it to clean brakes, it completely fu*ks up a NY state emmissions inspection causing a failure due to the strong fumes sucked into the VMAS. As a mechanic I often thought about it for years but never actually tried it until recently. I also tried carb cleaner at the same time and was surprised at how easy it was to clean an AR15 with these two chemical sprays. It did not discolor any metal on my Bushmaster and I was really carefull not to get it on the plastic because one day while I was wearing eye protection, I was spraying brake cleaner and got a lot of backspray on the plastic lenses which made them turn white opaque and ruined them. I wouldn't want that to happen to my handguards or any other plastic part. I suppose if you wipe it down immediately it won't hurt the plastic but I will take a pass on trying that. I wish I tried these sprays sooner because we have a closet full of this stuff at the shop!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been using brake cleaner for years.  
Non-chlorinated varity.

Just don't forget clp afterwards.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top