I am stumped on this one.

Here is the configuration.

Ammo:  Federal XM193
Magazine:  Gen 2 PMAG
LPK:  CMMG
Lower:  LMT
Buffer Tube:  BCM
Upper:  Stag 16" carbine

It fails to lock back with 30 round PMAGs and with 20 round NHMTG mags, but will work fine with 30 round NHMTG mags.

I've tried multiple mag catches, bolt catches, and standard, H, and H3 buffers.  The recoil spring is a new Colt one.

Also, if I use the lower with a Colt 6920 upper, it works.  If I use the upper with a Colt 6920 lower, it works.  Only the combination of my LMT lower and my Stag upper causes the issue.  So there is some tolerance stacking with both the upper and lower going on.

Comparing lowers I can't visually tell any difference.

The rifle's clean and lubricated with Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:45:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I checked the spring tension on the bolt catch. It was VERY stiff.  I took a couple coils off so that it was a little bit stiffer than that of a Colt 6920.  Must be that the hole isn't drilled far enough in the lower,since I've tried Bushmaster and CMMG bolt release springs.

I took it to the range today.  Now it works 100% with 30 rd NHMTG and Gen 2 30 rd PMAGs.  I tested the lock back at least 40 times, no issue.

However it seems to lock back with NHMTG 20 rd mags about 30% of the time.  I might take another half a coil off the bolt catch spring...
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:47:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I clipped the bolt catch spring a little bit more.  At the range today it functioned 100% with all the mags.  Thanks for helping me out.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top