Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2017 11:52:46 AM EDT

New grendel build. I've shot it a few times and I'm trying to work up a load for this season. I was working through some issues with the Stoner mags feeding and got that corrected so this week was working on my hunting loads. It seems like the first round was flying high as you can see in the picture. This was well into shooting so the gun was warm. Trying to figure out if it was me or the gun... Using 5 round stoner mags loaded with 5 rounds. First round loaded using the bolt release.

This group was 120 gr speer pro hunters over RL15.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#2]
hmmm....and CLP is exactly what I used to clean my guns recently
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice. I usually don't clean my barrels that often since I don't shoot that much but I have an older Savage I picked up used that I recently started shooting and the two new rifles so I thought it would be a good idea to clean all 3 of them and all 3 of them were giving me some erratic groups....
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#5]
How would gas tube alignment affect a first round flier?

What barrel are you shooting?

I have a 6.5 Grendel which has the exact same problem.  2.5 MOA High and 1 MOA Left on the first round consistently.  About 1MOA after that.  5 minutes between shots.  16" AA lightweight with VLTOR upper.  Two different rails two different scopes, two different uppers.

I am going to lap the upper receiver extension and de tension the lug offset from the extractor next.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

On some rigs, although the Buffer should prevent bolt bounce (carrier bouncing back off the face of the barrel extension at loading), it can still happen, and if you have bind between the gas tube to the key as the carrier is trying to come back forward after the bounce, it can keep the bolt from totally cam'g over for a full lock up isntead.

This can cause a slight inconsistency in head spacing for that shot, as well as bolt unlock too, which can produce the flier.
View Quote
That wouldn't be a first round flier, though.  that would just be shitty grouping.  Providing you are properly chambering.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I lack a lathe.  I took 30 minutes to shoot 5 total rounds.  I don't think the heat is the issue to cause that much differential.

I think out of true upper receiver or barrel extension is most likely.  The gun is handled, moved around and then the first round seats the barrel differently.  As long as I don't move the gun (assuming here) the rest of the rounds are on target.  I know the barrel nut is tight (two different rails with different nuts installed).  I am sure if I just shot the fuck out of it eventually whatever is protruding would seat down.  As long as I am going to re torque the barrel nut, might as well try the brownells receiver lapping tool and see how that goes.  gonna put the original rail on as well.

Disappointed if it is the upper receiver extension because I spent extra for the VLTOR and have a very nice 5.56 build off of one.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#10]
The name VLTOR means nothing.  I have two, an early one which is a billet and a later one that is forged.  Both needed the front of the receiver threads trued up just as much as any upper I have used.  IMO most uppers are machined square but the anodizing introduces the out of squareness.  I have trued up over 50 uppers of many different makes and it is pretty much always the same result, the high points seem to be related to uneven anodizing on the face of the threads.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The name VLTOR means nothing.  I have two, an early one which is a billet and a later one that is forged.  Both needed the front of the receiver threads trued up just as much as any upper I have used.  IMO most uppers are machined square but the anodizing introduces the out of squareness.  I have trued up over 50 uppers of many different makes and it is pretty much always the same result, the high points seem to be related to uneven anodizing on the face of the threads.
View Quote
I think this will become just part of my builds from now on.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Just a follow-up...Look at the target.. I started loading round in the chamber by hand one at a time, note group 4 & 5...

Group #1 was using the magazine with the first round flier. Pulling a mag fed round, I found that the polymer tip was boogered and a little ribbon shaved off it. Look like there was a burr on the feed ramps that were dinging up the bullets coming out of the bag at full speed. I loaded the rounds one at a time and look at the groups. I don't not that the first group looked pretty decent on a cold bore...

Diagnoses right now is I need to get some cheap wolf and do some blasting to really break the gun in then try for some accuracy. Oh, and I did take a file and clean up the feed ramps.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#13]
What barrel again?
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What barrel again?
View Quote
from classic, apparently sourced from bear creek...1:8 18" heavy profile, fluted....
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

from classic, apparently sourced from bear creek...1:8 18" heavy profile, fluted....
View Quote
well I can't blame my 16" lightweight AA profile, now can I?
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top