Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/26/2017 6:20:22 AM EDT
Got 35 rounds loaded for testing the new build. Brand new Anderson M4 barrel. Tried chambering a round which fed fine but the bolt would not close. Had to pound the butt on the ground to extract and it pulled the bullet out of the case. Had to use a cleaning rod to knock it out and it was stuck in there pretty good...

129gr Hornady, 2.26" oal...

Do I have a bad chamber?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#1]
My first guess would be that your reloads are out of spec, probably in the resizing side of things. Does the rifle function with factory ammo?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My first guess would be that your reloads are out of spec, probably in the resizing side of things. Does the rifle function with factory ammo?
View Quote
It's been my experience that you often need to trim brand new brass. I've had some that were really long.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Once fired Hornady I picked up at the range. Ran through a FL resizer. Brass did not deformed at all and measures under 1.526"....and why would that wedge the bullet into the rifling hard enough to extract form the case?

Black River Arms bolt...136" bolt face.

Is it possible that an overly stiff extractor would cause that?....I wouldn't not think that it would as the case should stop at the shoulder of the chamber and wouldn't push the bullet into the rifling if it were a proper chamber...
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Once fired Hornady I picked up at the range. Ran through a FL resizer. Brass did not deformed at all and measures under 1.526"....and why would that wedge the bullet into the rifling hard enough to extract form the case?

Black River Arms bolt...136" bolt face.

Is it possible that an overly stiff extractor would cause that?....I wouldn't not think that it would as the case should stop at the shoulder of the chamber and wouldn't push the bullet into the rifling if it were a proper chamber...
View Quote
Sorry, I missed the part about the bullet being pulled out of the case. I remember reading about someone with a similar issue, maybe this thread:

65forum

If you poke around here you can probably find some very good info from knowledgeable people
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Read thru the 6.5 forum post. So I may be okay if I seat the bullet a little deeper.

I loaded my rounds up to 29gr of RL15 though... Any idea how much further I can seat them before I have to worry about pressure?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup, you need to seat your bullets further back.  Use a hornady OAL gauge if you want to see how long your chamber is in this aspect.  Or you can just use trial and error.

If you can fanangle loading up a dummy round where the mouth is tight enough to hold the bullet, but loose enough that it can be pushed back, but tight enough again so that it will stay - you can gently chamber this dummy round with your intended bullet a bit long.  Then gently unload it and check how far back the bullet got pushed.  Try it a few times with different neck tensions to ensure you're getting a consistent reading.  The OAL gauge is really the right way of doing it but I've done this successfully with bolt actions.  An AR will be a bit trickier but you should be able to use the FA to ensure it's completely chambered.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Read thru the 6.5 forum post. So I may be okay if I seat the bullet a little deeper.

I loaded my rounds up to 29gr of RL15 though... Any idea how much further I can seat them before I have to worry about pressure?
View Quote
If  your charge is anywhere near the max it would be a good idea to reduce your charge some then work back up to it.

May or may not be helpful, I'd have to double check but I'm pretty sure I load my Grendel to 2.24'' but that's in an Odin Works barrel(SAAMI) and with 123 Gr Amaxes.  That's a hair under mag length with my mags.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If  your charge is anywhere near the max it would be a good idea to reduce your charge some then work back up to it.

May or may not be helpful, I'd have to double check but I'm pretty sure I load my Grendel to 2.24'' but that's in an Odin Works barrel(SAAMI) and with 123 Gr Amaxes.  That's a hair under mag length with my mags.
View Quote
Would you happen to have max load for 129 gr Interlock with Re15? I have 29gr from the Nosler website.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Your loads are too long....for YOUR rifle

Take an un primed case and gradually seat the bullet deeper until the bolt closes easily and the round extracts easily.

When you find your length(minus .010-.020") work up your load from there.

Order a Hornady oal gage and modified case, for the future.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
gonna have to pop the extractor off and work on this when I get home
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Dropped them down to 2.245 OAL... Chamber still seems tight. Going to test fire today.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dropped them down to 2.245 OAL... Chamber still seems tight. Going to test fire today.
View Quote
If it is still tight there is no point in test firing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#13]
OK hive.

option 1....return barrel

option 2....keep it

Shot the rifle today. Good news, seems to shoot good. Problem is the jamming against the rifling is still occuring. Had to load one at a time into the chamber and drop the bolt to get consistent lockup. The issue stops the carrier from going into battery when mag fed. Bullets were loaded to 2.245".

How short would you go before sending it back the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OK hive.

option 1....return barrel

option 2....keep it

Shot the rifle today. Good news, seems to shoot good. Problem is the jamming against the rifling is still occuring. Had to load one at a time into the chamber and drop the bolt to get consistent lockup. The issue stops the carrier from going into battery when mag fed. Bullets were loaded to 2.245".

How short would you go before sending it back the barrel?
View Quote
Yeah I'd exchange the barrel where I bought it. Or have someone with a reamer work on it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Return it if you can and buy something other than an Anderson.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Gonna ask for a refund.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Nutz....2 weeks over the return period. Gonna have to exchange for a new barrel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nutz....2 weeks over the return period. Gonna have to exchange for a new barrel.
View Quote
Well hopefully you get a good one. They put a good product most of the time, sometimes there's lemons.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Just a follow up, they gave a refund and sent me a middy gas tube free....

Big shout for their CS.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just a follow up, they gave a refund and sent me a middy gas tube free....

Big shout for their CS.
View Quote
Good deal, you might ought to check out Odin Works or Ballistic Advantage for a new barrel option
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:56:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Good deal, you might ought to check out Odin Works or Ballistic Advantage for a new barrel option
View Quote
I bought an 18" classic arms heavy blued and am pretty happy with it so far.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top