Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2012 7:46:42 PM EDT
...that a lot of manufacturers scrawl all over their add-on parts like sights, rails, forearms, etc. Appears to be lasered on.

Edit: Wasn't sure where to post this.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
park it richhearssssss good
black out
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
There was a thread a few years back....  I think acetone worked on some of the lettering.

Link Posted: 7/8/2012 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Seems to be a lot of duplication of these questions latley. Perhaps there should be some sort of search function on this site.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/578460_Anyone_know_how_to_remove_the_white_text_from_uppers_or_rails_.html
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
SINCE NO ONE SEEMS TO KNOW EXACTLY HOW TO DO THIS, I'VE DECIDED TO DREMEL THE LETTERING OFF.

#4 DRUM SANDER SOUND GOOD?

I'LL START WITH MY USO MST-100 SCOPE.

I JUST BOUGHT IT, SPENDY BUT NICE...EXCEPT FOR THAT UGLY LETTERING.

I'LL SOAK THE SCOPE IN DIESEL FUEL MIXED WITH PAINT STRIPPER OVERNIGHT TO HOPEFULLY SOFTEN THE LETTERING.

I'LL LET YOU GUYS KNOW HOW MY PLAN TURNS OUT.

WISH ME LUCK.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
SINCE NO ONE SEEMS TO KNOW EXACTLY HOW TO DO THIS, I'VE DECIDED TO DREMEL THE LETTERING OFF.

I'LL SOAK THE SCOPE IN DIESEL FUEL MIXED WITH PAINT STRIPPER OVERNIGHT TO HOPEFULLY SOFTEN THE LETTERING.

WISH ME LUCK.

WARNING! DON'T TRY THIS IT DON'T WORK. ON TO PLAN B!
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 4:39:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WISH ME LUCK.

WARNING! DON'T TRY THIS IT DON'T WORK. ON TO PLAN B!

You think the white lettering looks bad just think what it will look like after you perform this abortion.  If it is just paint most likely Acetone will remove it, but it can remove the finish on your object too unless it is anodized.  If it is painted then you remove both paints.  If it is lasered on, you cannot remove it, it is burned in and if you grind on it you will take the finish down to bear aluminum and it will look like some hack took to it with a Dremel tool, oh wait, one did!
Either get use to it or have the entire tube finished over in what ever choice of color you want, but a Dremel, REALLY?  That is your solution?  I really hope you did not muck it up too badly.
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 4:55:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Brake fluid?
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Sharpie.  It will look better than dremeling it off.  

Have you thought about fluting your barrel...

MAHA
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

MAHA
Thanks for the inspiration.

I can see it now....

Fluted Uppers....

On topic:

I guess I'm not bothered by the advertising, YET.

I assume there are people who'll buy the parts based on the white lettering, as welll as people who'll avoid it.

I remember when the thing to do was buy wide tires with white lettering and mount them white letters 'in'.

Link Posted: 7/14/2012 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

MAHA
Thanks for the inspiration.

I can see it now....
Fluted Uppers....

On topic:
I guess I'm not bothered by the advertising, YET.
I assume there are people who'll buy the parts based on the white lettering, as welll as people who'll avoid it.

I remember when the thing to do was buy wide tires with white lettering and mount them white letters 'in'.

There was some thread around here where a guy said his AR was starting to look like a nascar.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Just get some ladder rail covers. That's an easy fix. Otherwise go to the hobby store and get some oil based paint like that used on models and try that maybe. I use it when I want to color fill stuff like glock lettering, etc.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Krylon is cheapest.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top