Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2012 4:01:36 PM EDT
As the topic says, has anyone successfully removed the screen printing on their rails or upper recievers?  With all the branding and logos that are being tossed on parts recently a built AR starts to look like a Nascar  

Here's an example, where the simple triangle logo would be fine by itself my upper here is over branded.  I'd like to be able to remove all this junk off the upper; the KAC text isn't so bad because the location is tucked away and not so noticable (even though the web address is a bit much...)

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Black Sharpie, wears off but re-apply
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't it laser etched?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Black crayola crayon and WD 40.  Go over the logos and text with the crayon and it will fill into it.  Use the WD-40 to clean away the excess.  The text will be black now and much less obvious than white text.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#4]
acetone or xylene ??? if it's just printed, that ought to work.

I take no responsibility if the finish comes off with it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This
Or try Alumablack.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]
is laser etched you could try aluma black.  If not you could try acetone, not fingernail polish remover, but hardware store acetone in a metal can.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Or try Alumablack.

Alumablack works well on laser etching, takes a couple treatments but it will cover.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#8]
im with you on the branding..one of the reasons i never got a MUR (besides the fact it's not even modular anymore) Is all that stupid white lettering...
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:25:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Matte Black Cerakote or Duracoat
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#10]
i realize this is way over the top, but it shows how much i hate involuntary free advertising.
i used a end mill and had it reanodized.
now if they would pay me for the exposure,that's a whole different deal.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
im with you on the branding..one of the reasons i never got a MUR (besides the fact it's not even modular anymore) Is all that stupid white lettering...

How are they not modular anymore?  The ones I just received in from VLTOR still had the removable Forward Assist section that could be replaced with the shell deflector only section.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I used a flat black touch up marker from Birchwood Casey to touch up one of mine.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't like those white 'billboard' marks on an AR either. You probably shouldn't mess with the marks on the flat top rails as they do have a purpose and the unused ones can be easily and cheaply covered up with rail covers. I simply don't buy any receiver marked with a white-painted or bare-metal logo or name. However, for those who can't restrain themselves, simply degrease the area and paint over the offending marks with Alumahyde II in the appropriate color/texture, probably Matte Black or Semi-Gloss Black.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As the topic says, has anyone successfully removed the screen printing on their rails or upper recievers?  With all the branding and logos that are being tossed on parts recently a built AR starts to look like a Nascar  

Here's an example, where the simple triangle logo would be fine by itself my upper here is over branded.  I'd like to be able to remove all this junk off the upper; the KAC text isn't so bad because the location is tucked away and not so noticable (even though the web address is a bit much...)

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp80/trn_photobucket/DSC00377.jpg

Use it. Dirt hides that stuff nicely.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Shoot it a lot and soon the finish will wear off.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I would like to know if there is a good answer - does acetone remove the black beneath it?
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I had OK luck with the "a lot of alumablack route"

The dried up alumablack actually created gunk on the upper that helps cover the text.  You can still see drips of the alumablack that ran down the receiver and I didn't completely clean off, up close it looks a bit sloppy now but from a few feet it looks OK.  

FYI, acetone will have no effect on the anodizing, it even struggled to clean off the excessive alumablack with scrubbing.

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#18]
just leave it alone, you aren't in combat
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had OK luck with the "a lot of alumablack route"

The dried up alumablack actually created gunk on the upper that helps cover the text.  You can still see drips of the alumablack that ran down the receiver and I didn't completely clean off, up close it looks a bit sloppy now but from a few feet it looks OK.  

FYI, acetone will have no effect on the anodizing, it even struggled to clean off the excessive alumablack with scrubbing.

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp80/trn_photobucket/DSC00392.jpg

Yikes
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok, I have to ask this. What is that knob on the port side of your upper receiver?
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
just leave it alone, you aren't in combat

If you were actually in combat the white lettering wouldn't make a difference on a black weapon bc black stands out in most environments so you would want to krylon the damn thing.  I don't know the stat for the number of guys that have been killed bc white letters on their equipment but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it is zero
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Ok, I have to ask this. What is that knob on the port side of your upper receiver?

This.

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#23]
It is the Innovative Arms Warfighter upper from Palmetto.  I believe it is an adjustable gas system, with the adjustment on the upper and not the gas block.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/upper-receivers-1/innovative-arms-warfighter-adjustable-receiver.html
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#24]
That's pretty neat.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Masking tape and matte black krylon would probably have worked fine.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#26]
The markings usually are laser marked into the anodizing.  The laser bleaches out the dye from under the sealed surface of the anodizing.  There's nothing you can do to reverse that.

Either paint or color over the surface, or reanodize the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How are they not modular anymore?  The ones I just received in from VLTOR still had the removable Forward Assist section that could be replaced with the shell deflector only section.

It is my understanding that vltor won't sell you just the part but you'd have to buy a whole upper again and swap it out
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top