Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2008 7:22:08 AM EDT
The M4 style handguards on my 6400 have play in them, from the side to side motion. This is exaggerated since installing a VFG. Is there a way to tighten it up or is something wrong to have play in the first place?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I never really noticed it until the VFG was installed. Again, now I have more leverage with the VFG and it started to wiggle cause of the leverage created. OK. At least I know play is common and nothing is F*&^ed up. Tank U...
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Never thought about that. Good point.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Loose handguards can be "tightened" with careful application of JB Weld epoxy.  It is easier with the Circlip removed to the rear, making the weld spring have less force on the delta ring.

Take the guards off and note how the star nut interfaces with the handguards.  You need to put a small bit of JB Weld in those cuts, not enough to fill them.  Less is better.

Clean the slot out with alcohol and let dry.  Coat the star nut and everything else you don't want to get JB Weld on with paste wax, let it dry.  Carefully place the mixed JB Weld in the slots, then assemble and let set up.  In 24 hours, they will be tight but still removable.  And if you used the right amount, it will be an invisible fix.  JB Weld is tough and heat resistant.

It can also work up front.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top