Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2007 10:08:08 AM EDT
I have a DPMS 16in m4 carbine, and frequently the shells get stuck in the barrell.  Does anyone know why this is so frequent?  I clean the rifle after each use.  I bought the rifle at a gun show, so i am thinking maybe the person that sold it either swapped the parts or didnt take care of it??  Would a new barrel solve the problem?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like an extractor problem.
Possibly a worn out extractor spring?

If this problem was mine, I would first make sure the extractor is in good shape.
Then possibly replace the spring, and while I replaced the spring, I'd probably put in a D-Fender D-ring while I was at it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
e2d,   When you clean the rifle, do you clean the chamber area specifically?  More likely it is an extractor problem which as already been advised.  Strip and clean the bolt to be sure nothing is preventing the extractor fro doing it's job, and try a new spring too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I one had this same problem on a new bushmaster using factory winchester q3131 ammo.  I don't think it was the extractor because it worked for everything else, it just seemed to take a bite outta the rim of the shell.

What kind of ammo are you using?  Try different ammo, maybe look at replacing the extractor, and finally, tape a cleaning rod to the handguard...
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Tape a cleaning rod to the handguard?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Tape a cleaning rod to the handguard?

so you can wack a stuck shell out
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#7]
If the shell is really stuck, it's the only way to get it out.  It is a complete and total catastrophic failure.  From now on, my rifle doesn't go anywhere without a spare rod somewhere.  (Nothing like driving back 3 hours from your 15 minute shooting trip just because you can't get a GD shell out.  But at least I wasn't in the middle of a firefight )
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top