Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/25/2005 3:12:08 PM EDT
I took my DPMS 6.8SPC M4 Upper (on a Stag lower) out to the range today and had a major malfunction.  The Bolt seems to be completely stuck in the barrel with a LIVE ROUND.  I am unable to get the charging handle, to budge.  I was able to separate the upper from the lower so it is a little safer with that live round stuck in there.  I can move the bolt carrier just slightly but the bolt it’s self appears to be stuck in the barrel and won’t allow me to get the carrier out.

When the Upper and Lower were together I tried to tap the buttstock on the ground to see if that would free it up but all that did was break my RRA 6 position buttstock.

Any ideas on what to do?

UPDATE:

When I got home from the range I was still unable to get the bolt out of the barrel, so with the upper seperated from the lower I was able to place a paint stick on the bolt carrier and tap the other end of the paint stick with a brass hammer.  This got the bolt and carrier to finally release.  I inspected the rifle very carefully and saw no sign of damage.  I removed the bolt from the carrier and inspected it.  The bolt was extremely dirty which surprises me as there is no more than 60 rounds through this rifle.  I completely cleaned the bolt and carrier and put it all back together.  It seems to function test fine.  All I need now is a new buttstock.  

I guess I'll try this upper out again tomorrow on a differant lower.

Anyone ever have this happen to them before?  Any idae what might have caused this?

UPDATE 12-13-2005

I received my rifle back from DPMS today.  They found that the Bolt had a "ring" on the face that was shaving brass and causing a head spacing problem resulting in FTF's and FTE's.  They corrected the problem and I should be good to go.  I'll go to the range on Thursday and test it out along with the Siver State Armory 6.8SPC ammo.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Commercial Remington 115 OTM AMMO.

No signs of to much pressure.

No signs of damage to the extracted cases.

I have no idea whay the live case in the chamber failed to fire?  I have no idea why the bolt got stuck in there either.

As to the above photo by TWEAK, That is how my RRA 6-position buttstock broke!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Clean out the barrel extesion also. It could be brass filings in the extension causing it to lock up. Also inspect the extension and bolt lugs for any burrs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never experienced this before?  I've cleaned the bolt, barrel extension, and carrier as good as possible.  I hope the problem is fixed.   Next week I'll replace the buttstock and hope all is well.

I've called DPMS as well.  Hopefully they can tell me if this something that is happening with their M4 6.8 SPC uppers or if they have a solution!
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 4:27:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/artweaker/Troubleshooting/buttstockbump.jpg next time

reloads or commercial ammo?

any pressure signs?

any signs of damage to the neck or mouth of the case?

anyone ever try this? looks like a good way to crack a stock
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 5:36:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/artweaker/Troubleshooting/buttstockbump.jpg next time

reloads or commercial ammo?

any pressure signs?

any signs of damage to the neck or mouth of the case?

Had to do it several times on the range when students didn't have their rifles properly lubricated.  They were teaching this in the army back in 83 and the NRA still goes over it in their patrol rifle schools.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have several times, I usualy sit down with my foot laying on its side and hit the buttstock on the heel of my boot, gives it a little cushion and I've never had one break. YMMV
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]
interesting:  from www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=258582

Quoted:
STICKMAN,

New rifle, and yes I did slam the stock into the ground while holding the Charging handle,  I ended up breaking the 6-position stock.  I have to now replace my stock, but want to make sure the problem has been corrected first.

Guess the technique is only for fixed stocks?
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#10]
/begin smartass reply:

DPMS

Stag

There's your problem!
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I am very impressed with DPMS!  I spoke to a DPMS representative this morning and he ask me to ship him both the DPMS Upper and my Lower and he would look at it and correct the problem.  In a world where there is almost no customer service any more this is a breath of fresh air.

I will get the rifle shiped out ASAP and will post an update as to what the problem was found to be.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#13]
A good bit of the checkering on my M93 is smashed down from doing that.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As to the above photo by TWEAK, That is how my RRA 6-position buttstock broke!!!!!

Was it collapsed at the time?

+1  the buttstock should be collapsed all the way before you do this.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#15]
On a collapsible, remove the stock before doing the above procedure... Bang the buffer tube onto a wood surface...
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Once with Wolf.  My Colt new M4 style stock held up fine.  This was of course after about 2,000 rounds at the end of a training class.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#17]
UPDATED!!!  See my original post.

I'm very impressed with DPMS!  GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!  I'll definately buy from them again.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I to have been thinking of getting a DPMS .308 carbine because of reviews and word of mouth.Now a couple more reports of good prompt customer service when needed and.....
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#19]
If you are at the range and need to do the stock slam thing, don't act like you are in the heat of battle.

Find a padded or soft wood surface, and also taking the collapsible stock off first is a good idea.  Don't just slam the thing down on the concrete and then wonder why it broke or got otherwise jacked up.

I use one of the small sand bags that ranges usually have for shooting support, unless there are a lot of people there, then I just shoot another rifle, or pack it up for the day and deal with it at home.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top