Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 7:11:23 AM EDT
After a few 30 rnd magazines are shot and the barrel is smokin hot, the bolt will lock back after the last round. Now I lean the gun against the bench to cool, but as soon as the but of the stock hits the ground, the bolt slams forward. It only does this with a hot barrel. Can't get it to do that when it's cold. Anyone see this happen before? Any suggestions? Is this common? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey Dalusa,  I often times return my bolt "home" by slapping the buttstock instead of hitting the bolt catch release, just quicker depending how I'm holding my rifle.  With that said, perhaps you are striking the ground just hard enough to have the bolt creep toward the ground (deeper into the cycle toward the buttstock) and it disengages the bolt catch.  Just thought about this too.....is the a mag in or out.  My guess would be out.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Jimmy: Mag is still in. Gun is only held by the fore end. Yea, it with slam forward if I smack the stock also. But I'm not really slamming it on the ground, doesn't take much of a shock at all to slam it forward. Gun is cleaned before firing sessions, I also blow-out all parts during cleaning with 100 PSI air so I don't think it's a build-up of carbon or fouling.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I think next time I'm out rapid firing and the bolt is locked back, I'll try to see if the bolt catch fully engages in front of the bolt or if it's only partially engaged.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top