Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2003 9:18:56 PM EDT
My bolt sometimes will not go forward due to hitting the back of the magazine but it is not a consistent thing. Using the same mag the rifle feeds fine sometimes but not other times. It always fails on the attempt to first feed the initial round. It happens with more than one mag. The 30rd mags are like new and work in my other AR's.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of magazine ghusted?
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:33:56 AM EDT
[#2]
30 rd OKay,Labelle and BFI
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#3]
So much for telling you to use GI magazines. Look at your mag catch button. Is the head of the shaft of the mag catch flush with the head of the mag catch button?
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes it is flush.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
After the bolt catches (for sure on the back of the mag?) can you pull down on the mag and then the bolt will go forward?

You should be able to recreate this in static testing and get an idea of what is going wrong.

Certain it's not the bolt carrier hanging on the hammer?

[speeling]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I did the static testing and I was wrong. It isn't hanging up  on the back of the mag. The tip of the bullet is hanging up on the front of the feed ramp and the bolt is on the back of the shell which has moved up slightly. Will the feed ramp "break in" after more rounds? Can I try polishing the ramp with a Dremel or should I send it to Armalite. It has about 250 rounds through it now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I was wondering about that. It takes a lot of effort for the magazine to get in the way of the bolt. The radii underneath the upper act as overtravel stops.

Are you using FMJ ammo? You said the failures were inconsistent. Do they only occur on one feed ramp?

Did you check the [url=http://ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?b=3&f=66&id=186]FAQ[/url] under "FtF"?

Your best bet is to send it to Armalite.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I am using FMJ. It appears to be the right ramp which has a cut slightly less deep compared to the left. There is a slight ledge where the ramp is a little above the back edge of the upper. Would it be aright to take the ledge off even with the back of the upper or shold that be left to Armalite. I sort of hate the delay on mailing back and forth.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's a pic courtesy of Troy.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=2881[/img]

With a light touch behind a Dremel using the correct bits it's an easy clean up. I'd still send it back to Armalite.

Are you saying the rear of the barrel extension extends past the rear lip of of the upper? The area that sits above of the front lip of a magazine when one is seating in the mag well?

If that's the case then there's something else wrong.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
No the barrel is even with the back of the upper but the cut of the outter radius of the feed ramp does not extend all the way down to the upper. I  will probably send it to Armalite although I think the extended ramp shown in the picture would be the best solution. I might screw it up though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Ah, understood now.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top