Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2003 9:07:55 AM EDT
OK here we go with my first post.  The "firing pin retaining pin" / "CAR pin" / "cotter pin", i've heard it called different names, is VERY tight when removing and reinserting.  I'am having to use pliers when removing and hammer "I know little taps" with screwdriver when reinserting.  Is this normal for a new bolt/bolt carrier.  In fact I had to order a new pin from J&T. (first one got bent to hell and back) No one had one in my area.    OH YEAH GREAT SITE!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Not at all un-common for them to be tight, especially on a new rifle.

Tip I use, when re-inserting, buy a set of the $5 dental picks and make certain when re-inserting that the long leg faces the opening. Then when ya feel the pin on far side of bolt, turn it over and use the dental pick to press down on the long leg, to help it into hole on far side of bolt, once it's in rotate the pin and do the same w/ the short leg.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I use my fingernail to remove mine. To reassemble it just pushes right back in.

It's a new rifle also. The key is to properly lubricate the pin.

As well, in 5 years in the Marines I never had an issue with the pin.

Handle the pin gently.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I know I'll probably catch some flak for doing it...  but I had the same problem with the firing pin retaining pin in my new Armalite's bolt carrier.  I got fed up with having to "lightly" hammer it in with a mallet every time I'd reassemble.  So, I decided to do something about it.  I took a sharpening stone and ever so slightly put a taper on the outside edge of each of the two "tines".  I found that it goes in a little easier, yet it still retains the ability to hold in the hole.  I do still have to use the mallet, but now I don't have to hit it as hard and it goes in alot easier.  BTW, just before I started taking some of the material off, I noticed that from all of the hard hammering I'd done, some of the metal on the pin had been "peeled" back - creating an even tighter fit in the carrier hole.  It almost looked like a little step just above the end of one of the tines.  Now I don't have any problems (unless the pin starts walking out from what I've done????).  Either way, I've decided to order a couple of spare pins .... just in case

hsld.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top