Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2018 9:48:24 AM EDT
So I just finished a .450 Bushmaster build but I still need a muzzle brake. Thread size is 5/8x32 which is pretty unpopular. I've found a few but they are mostly pretty expensive and I don't need anything fancy. I had a guy lined up to make me one but he hasn't gotten back ahold of me and I'm guessing I won't be saving much going this route. So my question is can I take a meaty standard 1/2 28 and bore it out and tap it to my thread pitch?

I'm guessing this isn't something many people have done or felt the need to do but is there any reason that would be a bad idea?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#1]
It would work fine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Most factory muzzle devices are pretty hard, so keep that in mind before you just try to run a hand tap in there.

Search "5/8-32 brake" on ebay, several generic options there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Check with Harrells, reasonable prices and wise variety:

Harrell's Precision
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$15 at WW. No reason to dick with modding one.

LINK
View Quote
Thread on his barrel is 5/8" x 32 tpi.....
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I bet I have an A2 style from a .45ACP upper in my junk bin if you want to pay for some shipping.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Most factory muzzle devices are pretty hard, so keep that in mind before you just try to run a hand tap in there.

Search "5/8-32 brake" on ebay, several generic options there.
View Quote
Those are what I call Vais threads.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My bad.

$18 at Midway

LINK
View Quote
Not a bad option. I didn't find this one during my endless searching.

For the price I might order it and still try and mod one I have for shits and giggles
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So I just finished a .450 Bushmaster build but I still need a muzzle brake. Thread size is 5/8x32 which is pretty unpopular. I've found a few but they are mostly pretty expensive and I don't need anything fancy. I had a guy lined up to make me one but he hasn't gotten back ahold of me and I'm guessing I won't be saving much going this route. So my question is can I take a meaty standard 1/2 28 and bore it out and tap it to my thread pitch?

I'm guessing this isn't something many people have done or felt the need to do but is there any reason that would be a bad idea?
View Quote

Should be no problem.

The minor diameter of a 5/8-32 is .591".
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Update.. I bored it out to 19/32 however no one has this a 5/8 x 32 tap. Fastenal could order one for me for 68 bucks. Ended up ordering a tap on amazing for 30 with overnight shipping.

At this point I'll have spent as much as I would for most muzzle brakes I found but I don't care. I'm gonna take a little more pride out of my own craftsmanship and if it fails then I'll order one from Midway.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Usually people bore out brakes that are already the right thread or re thread brakes that have the desired bore. You just had to do it the hard way huh

I don't know if anyone mentioned him yet but this guy has done a ton of thread jobs including a bunch of weird brakes for people https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/Barrel-Threading-sale-50-PTR-91-Aug-Scar-Sig-MPX-Beretta-21A-FAL-PAPM92-Pin-and-Welds/143-1029861/
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Usually people bore out brakes that are already the right thread or re thread brakes that have the desired bore. You just had to do it the hard way huh

I don't know if anyone mentioned him yet but this guy has done a ton of thread jobs including a bunch of weird brakes for people https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/Barrel-Threading-sale-50-PTR-91-Aug-Scar-Sig-MPX-Beretta-21A-FAL-PAPM92-Pin-and-Welds/143-1029861/
View Quote
By the time I'm done I will have been further ahead having someone custome make one. But I don't care, it's a hobby so why not try something different. And later as this round and thread pitch become more popular and people are asking the same question I'll have a good answer for them.

I done messed up though. I started with a cheap brake so I'm not upset. I bored it out at work in a lathe to .593. ordered the tap off Amazon for like 30 bucks with one day shipping. But I was impatient and tapped it at home not even using a tap handle and it didn't turn out the greatest. Anyways I'm taking a new brake and my tap to work tomorrow and I'm going to do it all in the lathe this time like I should have the first time but I have complete confidence this time around.

My only thing I'm still debating is how big to make the exit hole. The brake I'm using is currently about .034 (ish if I remember right) bigger than .223. I thought about just drilling the tap drill size all the way through so I know I have plenty of clearance. Or should I do something like .490. does having a hole slightly larger than the round make a big difference in the efficiency of the brake itself?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#15]
With all of that work, I just do my own and harden them myself, I always have round steel stock around here that I can make a muzzle brake out of.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
With all of that work, I just do my own and harden them myself, I always have round steel stock around here that I can make a muzzle brake out of.
View Quote
How much difference have you seen between using them annealed and hardened?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How much difference have you seen between using them annealed and hardened?
View Quote
Really not much, but I am not hard on my equipment, I have a lot of guns that I can shoot, so none of them get put through the wringer, I have not fired a shot in over a month now...I am hoping to get back out in competition next year, but our season is short here for that type of stuff.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I made a couple out of 1018 that don't show any signs of wear after close to 2k rounds.   One is on a 10.5" barrel.

Attachment Attached File

One of the last times I purchased a few feet of each standard sizes, my supplier had 4140 for nearly the same price as 1018 so that is what most of my stock is now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I made a lot out of dead soft 416 and 12L14.

Never really saw one wear out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Only seen it on AKs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only seen it on AKs.
I've seen decent erosion on some 50 bmg guns but none were worn out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only seen it on AKs.
That's usually what happens. The first couple baffles will erode a little and then it seems to stop.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Second attempt seems to be successful. I bored and drilled/tapped all on the lathe with out unchucking the brake so I feel very confident in the alignment. I bored it out to .484 so roughly .034 larger than the bullet. Most suggestions I saw said at least .02 clearance. I am slightly tempted to open it up just a little more just to play it safe but I don't want to lose any efficiency
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top