Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2018 7:08:50 PM EDT
So I need another BCG and I got to looking at lightweight ones since I've never tried one out.  It would be going in an 11.5" mid length build, but my first suppressor should be coming in any month now.

I have an SLR adjustable gas block, would I still see the benefits of using a lightweight BCG with a suppressor?  Don't know much on the subject.

Reduced power spring to go along with it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I need another BCG and I got to looking at lightweight ones since I've never tried one out.  It would be going in an 11.5" mid length build, but my first suppressor should be coming in any month now.

I have an SLR adjustable gas block, would I still see the benefits of using a lightweight BCG with a suppressor?  Don't know much on the subject.

Reduced power spring to go along with it?

Thanks.
View Quote

I have a 10.5" carbine barrel with a Faxon Gunner BCG and Taccom ultra lightweight buffer and reduced power spring.  The total reciprocating weight is just under 9 oz.  My SLR gas block is only 3 clicks open to cycle Wolf Gold (and lock back on last round) with a Griffin Recce 5.  Six clicks without the silencer.  These are the correct settings for all the 5.56 NATO Class ammo I have tried.

Benefit #1 - Total Weight is right at 6lbs with the silencer and Vortex Spitfire optic.  This makes this SBR very easy to handle.
Benefit #2 - Low recoil, minimal scope shake provides very fast and accurate follow-up shots.

Downside #1 - with the Recce 5 installed, the gun is pretty front heavy, so the balance is not optimal.
Downside #2 - you need to make sure you know where to set the gas block, especially for the highly variable loadings in .223 ammo.  I don't reload (yet), but the ammo I have bought and stack is really consistent as far as gas block settings go.  You just have to set the gas block based on what you are shooting.

Makes this high drag, low speed old man a little less high drag, a little better on speed.  But alas... I'm still old.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply, I'm waiting on the Recce 7.  Also have the SBPDW brace which is pretty hefty so I don't think balance will be as much of an issue.

ETA:  Ordered Brownells BCG and the Taccom buffer/spring combo.

Primary Arms ran a 24 hour deal on a lightweight BCG for $75 which got me interested in them,  but I fell asleep and the deal had ended when I went to purchase.  Tried messaging them to see if they'd still honor the sale but never heard back, oh well it's only money
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top