Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 12:11:00 PM EDT
I did a build last year, seems to be working fine but I have 2 questions.
Looking to replace a real cheap charging handle. It is kind of loose and sloppy. I do some 3gun so it has to be solid and easy to control.

The second issue is ejection pattern.
223 ejects at 4 to 5 o'clock but 5.56 ejects at 1 to 2 o'clock. Is that normal?
Is it OK?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a lot of quality charging handles.  I have a BCM Gunfighter Mod 4, but you may want to look at ambi handles.  Mod 4 is the medium latch, but for 3 gun you may want the larger latch or go ambi.  But I will always recommend BCM.  Not the cheapest, but great quality.

On your second question, the ejection pattern makes some sense, although that's quite a spread.  It says that your .223 round is under gassed and your 5.56 round is over gassed.   5.56 rounds are typically loaded hotter than .223, but it would be helpful if you could tell us what you are shooting (brands, model, handload, etc.).

If you're not having failures (eject and feed) you are probably ok, but with that wide of ejection spread I don't blame you for asking the question.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go with the BCM Mod 4 due to the ambi latches however I've pinched my fingers a few times in them which isn't fun. The Raptor (despite its price) is probably your best bet.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the LWRC Ambi, can be a little expensive though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The ones I hear the most praise for are the BCM models and the Raptor, and the PRI Gasbuster gets brought up a bit as well, especially when suppressors get involved. Personally I'm around 2k rounds on a JoeBob charging handle with a Badger Ordnance latch on it and it's chugging along just fine. It's a bit wiggly and missing a fair bit of finish, but it's never given me an issue, and I can't bring myself to throw $60-100+ at an item that won't do much more than my $30 setup.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
BCM & Raptor.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BCM & Raptor.
View Quote
Same boat here, BCM gunfighters (mod 4 for me) and the Raptors for ambi. I've heard Geissele's ambi CH is awesome but I can't justify spending the $$ to replace my BCMs and Raptors that I already have
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Phase 5 Tactical Ambi Battlelatch, I've been very happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got one of these and I like it.

DS Arms Forged Steel Charging Handle

Some might argue steel is overkill and they might be right but in my opinion this is the ultimate in durability/reliability.
It is also available with an extended latch.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got one of these and I like it.

DS Arms Forged Steel Charging Handle

Some might argue steel is overkill and they might be right but in my opinion this is the ultimate in durability/reliability.
It is also available with an extended latch.
View Quote
The problem in 99% of CH breakage is not aluminum vs steel, its the roll pin and the amount of stress put on the roll pin by design. The original USGI charging handle does its job just fine, but usually IF (BIG IF) it breaks its almost always at the roll pin. The majority of the expensive "redesigned" charging handles change where the stress is placed, usually taking most of the stress off the roll pin, or some removing all the stress off the roll pin entirely
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Geissele Super Ambi Charging Handle in my build, and like it a lot.  Nice finish (of course), and the pin seems very strong.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The problem in 99% of CH breakage is not aluminum vs steel, its the roll pin and the amount of stress put on the roll pin by design. The original USGI charging handle does its job just fine, but usually IF (BIG IF) it breaks its almost always at the roll pin. The majority of the expensive "redesigned" charging handles change where the stress is placed, usually taking most of the stress off the roll pin, or some removing all the stress off the roll pin entirely
View Quote
Good to know. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good to know. Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know. Thanks
That's why I went with the Griffin Armament CH. The only one I saw that used Torx screws.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:50:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same boat here, BCM gunfighters (mod 4 for me) and the Raptors for ambi. I've heard Geissele's ambi CH is awesome but I can't justify spending the $ to replace my BCMs and Raptors that I already have
View Quote
Buy the Geissele if you're starting from scratch, but there isn't enough improvement over the Raptor to change.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Raptor is worth every penny.

As to ejection pattern, don't worry about it as long as it cycles both.  I have a precision build set up to throw my match handloads at around 4 o'clock.  They are fairly mild, 223 pressure.  It throws full power 5.56 NATO spec Mk 262 at 1:30-2:00, but shoots both with 100 percent reliability.  Yes, there can be that much difference.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#15]
My vote is for BCM charging handle in any flavor. Personally I would go with the medium latch of you're a righty.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I do some 3gun
View Quote
May I ask why you would rather come to the internet for a solution, rather than from your fellow competitors? They can tell you what they use and you would be able to handle it on their rifles.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#17]
THE cheapest one I find. Then leave it alone. It's something that doesn't get used that much. Only time I use it is at end of stage....I'm not paying more than 20 bucks
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I always used the cheapest one I could find when building. Then I started upgrading my favorite AR. Bought a Raptor and oh my god what a nice improvement.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Geissele is by far my favorite. I've owned all the nice ones and Geissele is definitely at the top of the pile.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I noticed shortly after purchasing several BCM charging handles that they would occasionally pinch my finger, then I started seeing comments from others stating the same thing.

They MAY have corrected the issue by now, but I switched to the Raptor and I liked it a hell of a lot better!
View Quote
Hey Pursuit - I bought my Gunfighter Mod 4 CH back in late 2014 and I have not experienced any pinched fingers.  Was your experience with the Mod 4 latch?  

I also have the Griffin SNACH which I also like as it really does help reduce GIF (gas in face) with their Recce5 suppressor.  Plus it is ambi and very easy to operate with the larger latch handles.  Buddies at the range have said that they like the SNACH better than the Raptor, but reserve their right to change their mind based on long term reliability (which is excellent so far after 9 months).
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I have BCM Mod 4's on both my builds.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I did a build last year, seems to be working fine but I have 2 questions.
Looking to replace a real cheap charging handle. It is kind of loose and sloppy. I do some 3gun so it has to be solid and easy to control.

The second issue is ejection pattern.
223 ejects at 4 to 5 o'clock but 5.56 ejects at 1 to 2 o'clock. Is that normal?
Is it OK?
View Quote
Sparks:  Once you become accustomed to a quality aftermarket charge handle, you won't be able to tolerate the original GI item, the improvement is that pronounced.  As for what type and brand, the answer starts with how you perform the manual of arms.  If you are right handed and routinely manipulate the action with your right hand, then you definitely need an ambi handle.  If you always use your left hand, then an ambi handle will not be ideal.  

I'm a lefty but I always use my left hand to manipulate the charge handle.  I tried an ambi (AXTS brand) but quickly realized it was not ideal and switched back to my preferred BCM mod 3 (large) Gunfighter.  The Gunfighter is hard to beat. - CW
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I run the raptor on a few rifles, but the rest have the strike industries extended latch. It is 7075, and less than 30.00, plus the stationary side of the handle is serrated and extended so my big fingers won't slip.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sparks:  Once you become accustomed to a quality aftermarket charge handle, you won't be able to tolerate the original GI item, the improvement is that pronounced.  As for what type and brand, the answer starts with how you perform the manual of arms.  If you are right handed and routinely manipulate the action with your right hand, then you definitely need an ambi handle.  If you always use your left hand, then an ambi handle will not be ideal.  

I'm a lefty but I always use my left hand to manipulate the charge handle.  I tried an ambi (AXTS brand) but quickly realized it was not ideal and switched back to my preferred BCM mod 3 (large) Gunfighter.  The Gunfighter is hard to beat. - CW
View Quote
Slightly off topic- why are charging handles so expensive relative to what they are? Many cost as much as a complete BCG which has far more work, tolerances and moving parts involved!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Slightly off topic- why are charging handles so expensive relative to what they are? Many cost as much as a complete BCG which has far more work, tolerances and moving parts involved!
View Quote
 Taking into account the design, about $50 retail for a BCM handle seems about right.  Charge handle parts are machined, not stamped, with rather thin cross-sections and close tolerances.  However, $100 or more for an ambi handle is probably trading off the relative newness and appeal to those who haven't tried one yet. - CW
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#28]
I also like the ambi handles.  There's a bunch of manufacturers, all a bit different, but ambi is the way to go even though they may be a bit more expensive.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I like the Gunfighter charging handle with the long latch. They run around $50, so it is worth it to wait for a sale when they come down to $39 or so. Then buy a few of them. If you only have 2 or 3 ARs, get this (if you only have 1 AR, get a second before you buy a fancy charging handle). They are worth it if you have the $ for it. They are well made and have nice features.

If you have a tighter budget, or have to outfit a bunch of builds, I also keep an eye out for Anderson 7075 charging handles. These mil-spec type ones sell for as little as $15. Then, I put a Strike Industries extended latch on it. I get these when they come on sale also, but they are only around $8 normally.  They are a nice, simple, extended latch you can easily add (if you have the right punch). So you can make a decent, upgraded charging handle for around $22, and even less if you get them on sale. About half the price of the Gunfighter, and a reasonable option.

I set up my main rifles with the Gunfighter, and then put together a few lower cost charging handles for my "tinkering" builds.  I never got around to the ambi charging handles. I'm sure they are very good too, but for me, they are too costly. I like consistency on my rifles, and I'm used to the standard AR charging handle.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#30]
I run two geissele super charging handles a BCM mod 3 and a mod44 ambi and a raptor. The raptor is my favorite but they all work fine.

IMG_8932 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
IMG_8930 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#31]
i like the strike industries arch handle that i just got for $20. kinda an upgraded stock handle for not much more.

Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Raptor.

Just ordered my third.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I like the BCM charging handle (have a few), I have a Raptor (it's okay) -- my next CH to try will be Geissele.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I have BCM Mod4 on both my rifles they are a nice improvement over a mil spec ch and they reduce gas a little as well. When I do another build I think I will try a Geissele or Raptor.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top