BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:02:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone tried the Heavy Duty Jig with a Juggernaut Tactical 80% lower (Link)?  When dry fitting the jig, the side supports appear to touch a few places of the lower (that are non-standard) in the front to rear axis.  I did not use any painters tape in these areas.  The screws all went in without binding, but it is snug.  Also, from the top, it appears that the side support screws are slightly biased to one side.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Those should work without a problem.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By troy_v:
View Quote
I'd actually disagree with you.  The extra material that goes rear of the magazine well looks like it'll cause the jig to not fit properly to me.  You could easily modify the side plates to fit it thought if you wanted to.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:01:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
I'd actually disagree with you.  The extra material that goes rear of the magazine well looks like it'll cause the jig to not fit properly to me.  You could easily modify the side plates to fit it thought if you wanted to.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
Originally Posted By troy_v:

The modulus reps have stated that the HD jig was designed with lot of adjustability for various billet lowers. I'd suggest contacting Modulus. But my money is on it fitting.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:07:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ModulusArms] [#6]
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ModulusArms:

I saw your email asking us about this just recently. I apologize in the delay of the response as we have been closed since Friday. Max will be getting back in touch with you on Monday morning to sort through any problems you are having. I would address your issues but Max is really the technical representative and will get you sorted out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By The_Schweitz:
Anyone tried the Heavy Duty Jig with a Juggernaut Tactical 80% lower (Link)?  When dry fitting the jig, the side supports appear to touch a few places of the lower (that are non-standard) in the front to rear axis.  I did not use any painters tape in these areas.  The screws all went in without binding, but it is snug.  Also, from the top, it appears that the side support screws are slightly biased to one side.

http://www.jtactical.com/assets/images/1634017658.jpg

http://www.jtactical.com/assets/images/5421256647.jpg

I saw your email asking us about this just recently. I apologize in the delay of the response as we have been closed since Friday. Max will be getting back in touch with you on Monday morning to sort through any problems you are having. I would address your issues but Max is really the technical representative and will get you sorted out.

Thanks for following up.  With the holiday weekend, I thought I might as well try here as well to see if anyone else had some first hand experience.  I'll keep an eye out for the email.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:57:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ModulusArms] [#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
You want to send me one?  Christmas is less than a week away!  
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone tried out the Heavy-Duty 308 Jig, yet?
View Quote

I haven't worked up the gumption to do a .308 yet...  Not sure where to get the rest of the parts or what stuff is good.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Is anyone else having a problem with the HD15 jig is off by a millimeter or so to the left?  Makes the hole for the trigger offset too. It has done this on a New Frontier billet and also a forged of a different brand.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:58:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlueMax76] [#15]
Originally Posted By BlackWeapon:
Is anyone else having a problem with the HD15 jig is off by a millimeter or so to the left?  Makes the hole for the trigger offset too. It has done this on a New Frontier billet and also a forged of a different brand.
View Quote
I have a similar problem with mine.  My pins (trigger and Hammer) and the safety are crooked in the lower.  Just looking down over the top of the lower it is plain as day they are not straight across the fire control pocket.  The left side holes are to far forward.  I took the two steel left and right parts of my heavy duty jig and put them together and the holes do not line up. can I get my sides replaced? I was just on your web site today (04/18/2018) and you don't even have jigs or individual jig parts shown on your site.  I sent an email about this problem several weeks ago and no response.

Edited to ad:  Well I have done some research and have read that Modulus is not selling jigs or jig parts anymore (since summer of 2017).  Wow.  I spent a lot of my hard earned money on that jig...did one lower and found that a poor quality jig screwed it up and now I can't get any replacement parts for it!  I can't do anymore lowers with it without screwing them up too so I guess I have to give a big thumbs down to Modulus.  I guess I will spend more money and get a 5D Tactical jig.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BlueMax76:

I have a similar problem with mine.  My pins (trigger and Hammer) and the safety are crooked in the lower.  Just looking down over the top of the lower it is plain as day they are not straight across the fire control pocket.  The left side holes are to far forward.  I took the two steel left and right parts of my heavy duty jig and put them together and the holes do not line up. can I get my sides replaced? I was just on your web site today (04/18/2018) and you don't even have jigs or individual jig parts shown on your site.  I sent an email about this problem several weeks ago and no response.
View Quote
No, there is no avenue available to get your sides replaced, they have stopped selling jigs and have not been on here for quite a while now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I just found that out!  That really burns me!  I got a big red paper weight now!
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Just pulled mine out and checked it. Looks good. I have only done 1 80% lower with it but I didn't have any issues. I have a few more on hand so wanted to make sure my jig was good.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By wtjosaas:
Just pulled mine out and checked it. Looks good. I have only done 1 80% lower with it but I didn't have any issues. I have a few more on hand so wanted to make sure my jig was good.
View Quote
I have one of these jigs that I have not been able to make the time to use to attempt to complete an 80%.  How did you check to see if the side plates line up correctly and are in spec for use?  I was thinking of using purchase complete lower to do this by assembling it in the jig then check with the appropriate drill bit.  Just wondering if there is another way to check them before spending any time trying to complete one only to find out it will not function.  TIA
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mre1974:
I have one of these jigs that I have not been able to make the time to use to attempt to complete an 80%.  How did you check to see if the side plates line up correctly and are in spec for use?  I was thinking of using purchase complete lower to do this by assembling it in the jig then check with the appropriate drill bit.  Just wondering if there is another way to check them before spending any time trying to complete one only to find out it will not function.  TIA
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mre1974:
Originally Posted By wtjosaas:
I just laid the 2 plates together and made sure the holes lined up. I have completed 1 lower with it so I was sure it was good anyway.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DaveP1:

No, there is no avenue available to get your sides replaced, they have stopped selling jigs and have not been on here for quite a while now.
View Quote
The worst part is they won't even respond and tell you to go somewhere else - yet their FB, website and voicemail all tell you they are still up and running.  I get the whole not doing it anymore but at least shut down the website and FB pages so people don't waste their time/effort trying to get in touch with you.  I have been trying for almost 3 weeks to get in touch with them for replacement parts and ended up here (and another archived thread).

Hell even if they responded and said "we aren't selling the shit anymore but here is the end mill brand/part number so you can go find one on your own" I'd have been appreciative of that.  Instead I get silence - probably because they are sick of being bothered by all the people who still think they are in business.  It's like when people get irritated by the "is it still available" emails when they don't delete their Craigslist ads after something is sold.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Modulus jig that is missing a part. IM me. Maybe we can work something out.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I just milled my first two lowers with the heavy duty Jig and worked out well but one thing. The edge or the rear take down pocket ended up closer than I would have liked to the buffer detent hole. This was on a  Nodak retro receiver. It will work but I would like to have about 1mm more than I do.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Hello,

Holy thread resurrection ! :-)  Very late to the party but finally got around to using this jig today.

I've sent Modulus an email about these issues but ... no response.

Anyway, when assembling the jig the support screw that is supposed to thread thru both side plates only goes in part way on the first side plate.  Any ideas why ?

Regardless I continued on since it seemed sturdy enough and mounted in my (wood) work bench vise it seemed square...

The drilling seemed to go well and didn't take that long however when I set up to do the routing the first setting for the end mill didn't even touch the lower, much less have to be started in the "A" hole.  Is this a real problem ?  Should I just continue on, in small steps, to the max depth the depth gauge is built for ?

Or, is my lower toast ? :-)

Peter
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By PETERC57:
Hello,

Holy thread resurrection ! :-)  Very late to the party but finally got around to using this jig today.

I've sent Modulus an email about these issues but ... no response.

Anyway, when assembling the jig the support screw that is supposed to thread thru both side plates only goes in part way on the first side plate.  Any ideas why ?

Regardless I continued on since it seemed sturdy enough and mounted in my (wood) work bench vise it seemed square...

The drilling seemed to go well and didn't take that long however when I set up to do the routing the first setting for the end mill didn't even touch the lower, much less have to be started in the "A" hole.  Is this a real problem ?  Should I just continue on, in small steps, to the max depth the depth gauge is built for ?

Or, is my lower toast ? :-)

Peter
View Quote

Which router do you have?  Can you post some pics?

Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Hi,

I'm using my Dewalt 621.  No pictures but I'm 100% sure that the jig is on correctly.  I even used my calipers to measure the actual depth of the drill holes and they all came out near 1.25" (if a little shallow) so the max depth from the jig for drilling appears to be correct.  I got some feedback from another forum to just move forward and watch the depth as I go.  If it comes out shallow then I can increase the depth of cut by whatever it takes (the Dewalt easily let's me adjust depth changes in 1/128" increments)...

Anyway, basically my question had more to do with the jig and the depth gauge provided and whether this discrepancy might be related to the jig itself or maybe the lower I have.

Thanks,

Peter
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:17:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: twoisone] [#27]
My apologies if I’m not understanding.

You need an end mill that is at least 4” long.  Many are 2.5” made for a mill, not a router.  Is your end mill that long?

The A holes (he he) should go all the way through the lower to make the trigger hole. Did they?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:25:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By tobycreek:
My apologies if I’m not understanding.

You need an end mill that is at least 4” long.  Many are 2.5” made for a mill, not a router.  Is your end mill that long?

The A holes (he he) should go all the way through the lower to make the trigger hole. Did they?
View Quote

This is correct, if you have a 4" long end mill with a short cut that's what you want.  Long enough to get all the way through. short cut so the cutting part never is near the jig plate.

If you got the end mill from Modulus it should be good.  If you are buying on your own you have to be careful to get ones that will work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Hi,

I got the complete set of bits, the end mill and the jig all at the same time from Modulus.  It's not the length of the End Mill that started this conversation - it's the fact that when I set the depth of the end mill for the *first* cut, using the depth gauge supplied with the jig, the end mill does not reach the top of the lower.  It's at least 1/16" short.

When I saw that I stopped and started asking questions since I was concerned all the depth settings would be off and I'd ruin the lower.

So, anyway, based on feedback elsewhere I've decided to move forward but only use the depth gauge as a *rough* guide and manually ensure the pocket gets no deeper than 1.25".  Kind of a pain but doable.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By PETERC57:
Hi,

I got the complete set of bits, the end mill and the jig all at the same time from Modulus.  It's not the length of the End Mill that started this conversation - it's the fact that when I set the depth of the end mill for the *first* cut, using the depth gauge supplied with the jig, the end mill does not reach the top of the lower.  It's at least 1/16" short.

When I saw that I stopped and started asking questions since I was concerned all the depth settings would be off and I'd ruin the lower.

So, anyway, based on feedback elsewhere I've decided to move forward but only use the depth gauge as a *rough* guide and manually ensure the pocket gets no deeper than 1.25".  Kind of a pain but doable.

Thanks,
View Quote

I wonder if your depth gauge is off?  Can you measure the depth of the A, B & C parts of it?  I can tell you that if I set my end mill to the first hash mark on my Makita, it is below the top of the lower.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:12:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: twoisone] [#31]
It is possible your depth gauge is off and the hash marks start too high. The only measurement that really matters is the bottom one on the gauge. Try not to take more than about 1/16” or less off with each pass.  Sounds like you have the micrometer you need to check depth. You’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#32]
That's the plan - maybe a little less 'mindless' but that's probably a good thing !

Thanks !
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Bump
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Why not let it archive?  This jig has been out of production for more than a few years. The current Modulus won’t provide parts, though it appears they do still have the instructions on their website via a direct link.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top