Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 6:57:22 PM EDT

So what have I done wrong? It won't tighten any more by hand, and I don't think I have anything with enough torque to move it that last quarter inch or so even if I wanted to, so I must have screwed up somewhere right?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Your image didn't load
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Camera%20Uploads/2015-01-18%2012.17.54.jpg?_subject_uid=96025622&w=AADzGlH6Z59s4UbgdHhPkKPNNOFegIxoUJieH9BuR0yScg

So what have I done wrong? It won't tighten any more by hand, and I don't think I have anything with enough torque to move it that last quarter inch or so even if I wanted to, so I must have screwed up somewhere right?
View Quote
cant see your pic.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Nevermind, I discovered the user error. Always read the directions.
Also, as a secondary learning experience, always buy the right length gas tube -_-

*edit* Well, I'm not so sure now. I have a 16" barrel, which should require a 9.5" gas tube but mine seems very short.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Barrel length doesn't determine the length of gas tube you need. Gas system length does. Is your barrel a carbine, mid, or rifle length gas barrel?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I think I've figured it out. It's a mid and I have a carbine length. I was following another forums sizes and it said a mid-length is 9.5"
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#6]
This is why builds usually take a few weeks, unless you have an immediate source for parts when you have issues.

Brownells has Spikes nitrided (I think?) gas tubes for the price of quality standard ones.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll probably just run to PSA tomorrow after work and pick up another one. Should be good to go afterwards... I hope, anyway.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top