Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 3:49:03 PM EDT
I’m looking to complete my third AR.  I’ve built up all three lowers myself, however to this point I have not taken on building the upper myself, and I really don’t want to take that step yet, unless I have to.  The two previous uppers I have purchased were a Model 1 6.5 Sporter (Grendel), and a Stag 3G.  For my third AR, I would like to use a mock disapator configuration.  Does anyone have any leads on who is offering these currently?  Most of the place I have found are ‘sold out’, leading me to think these are being built up in limited runs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#1]
They seem to pop in and out with PSA but with the free shipping on uppers deal they have going right now just about all of their uppers are gone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's the Dissipator upper that I will be purchasing...

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store/product.php?id_product=148
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Look around for Del-ton uppers (on their site). I also think JSE carries them. I've had two and they both function perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:26:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to the Aim Surplus site and get set up to be notified when they come in.  They're worth it.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5950MOE&name=Spikes+Tactical+16%22+Mid-Length+GMP+5.56%2f.223+URG&groupid=1000

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to the Aim Surplus site and get set up to be notified when they come in.  They're worth it.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5950MOE&name=Spikes+Tactical+16%22+Mid-Length+GMP+5.56%2f.223+URG&groupid=1000

Best,
JBR
View Quote

I'd rather not go Spikes unless I absolutely have too.  Their emblem has that whole 'once you see it, you cannot unsee it' thing going.  I'm hard pressed to see any advantage of the Spikes, over the one above, with the 1:7 vs 1:8 twist rate being the biggest difference.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#6]
At the risk of pimping Voodoo/Adams too much (I waited a long time for a deal on their pinned Manimal 14.5" barrel, so I visited their site a few to many times), they have their take on the dissy.  Interesting, if nothing else.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Sportsmans guide had del ton dissy kits. There's always model 1 sales.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sportsmans guide had del ton dissy kits. There's always model 1 sales.
View Quote

I'll have to check out DelTon.  Model 1??  I went though them for my Grendel (6.5 Sporter).  Its an okay kit, even more so when factoring I the cost.  Have they solved the CC issues?  I only learned about those after I ordered.  Lots of heartburn after that order, but it has been years now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm very happy with my premium Dissy upper from PSA.  Some people complained about a gap between teh FSB and the barrel. but mine did not exhibit that issue.  It's my favorite AR and was quite a bit less than the earlier linked Spikes.  I have no issues with Spikes and would take the linked one in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cash.  The only upgrades it has over the one I got from PSA is the handguard (I replaced mine with a YHM Customizable like this but not FF) and the stainless plug on the FSB (The PSA comes with a screw in there instead).

Other than that, both chrome lined 1-7 twist chromoly barrel, pinned mid length gas, etc.  I think I paid $47 for my upper on sale with their premium full auto BCG.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Since you have already built the lowers on two AR's I say it's high time you take on the upper project.

There really is nothing to it and it allows a whole lot more choices for custom configuration. I'll even throw in some Aeroshell 33ms .

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm very happy with my premium Dissy upper from PSA.  Some people complained about a gap between teh FSB and the barrel. but mine did not exhibit that issue.  It's my favorite AR and was quite a bit less than the earlier linked Spikes.  I have no issues with Spikes and would take the linked one in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cash.  The only upgrades it has over the one I got from PSA is the handguard (I replaced mine with a YHM Customizable like this but not FF) and the stainless plug on the FSB (The PSA comes with a screw in there instead).

Other than that, both chrome lined 1-7 twist chromoly barrel, pinned mid length gas, etc.  I think I paid $47 for my upper on sale with their premium full auto BCG.
View Quote

Spikes dissapator also has a melonite gastube and a pinned melonite gas block vs the PSA gas block having a set screw.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:08:29 AM EDT
[#12]
dissy gnashing of teeth ...... the difference between a MOCK dissy and a true dissy....

If your going to build a dissy, its a RIFLE gas sys on a 16" barrel.

a MOCK dissy is a mid gas sys with a faux rifle length FSB.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Since you have already built the lowers on two AR's I say it's high time you take on the upper project.

There really is nothing to it and it allows a whole lot more choices for custom configuration. I'll even throw in some Aeroshell 33ms .

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ctanoxBZ_6c/UFHTkVAzChI/AAAAAAAAAsE/KMdA7CALgr0/s1600/you+can+do+it.jpg

View Quote

I have to agree, you'll be glad you did.  
Frankly I think the lower is the fussier of the two assemblies anyway.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
dissy gnashing of teeth ...... the difference between a MOCK dissy and a true dissy....

View Quote

With today's low profile gas blocks, there's no reason to build a "real" dissy and many reasons not to.
At this point when people talk about a dissy I assume they mean a mock dissy since there's no reason anyone in their right mind would opt for the "real thing" (at least in my opinion).
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

With today's low profile gas blocks, there's no reason to build a "real" dissy and many reasons not to.
At this point when people talk about a dissy I assume they mean a mock dissy since there's no reason anyone in their right mind would opt for the "real thing" (at least in my opinion).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  I want the look, without having the potential dwell time issues, hence asking about mock dissy to begin with.  I must say, I'm liking the Sionics model linked above.  I'm going to have to do some reading up on them.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top