Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 9:02:31 PM EDT
Ok so I've currently building 2 ar15s one for 3gun and one for playing around with friends... Now my question is I've made up my mind I want a 18" ,rifle length gas system I want to have 1/8 twist in 223 wylde now my question is to which brand should I look at and also what other things should I look at for a dedicated 3gun ar barrel thanks very much
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I've recently built a 3gun rifle that is truly amazing. I also agonized over the barrel and came to a couple conclusions.

It didn't need to be sob-MOA capable, 3gun targets at distance are minimum of 3 MOA on every course ive ever seen and even that small is rare.

I wanted a 1/7 twist so I could use heavier projectiles with better success at distance (i  use 69gr SMKs on the distance stages, 55gr junk on everything else)

It had to have M4 ramps and br chambered for 5.56 or .223 wylde.

I ended up going with BCMs 16" stainless mid-length. I didn't need the velocity of an 18" barrel and I wanted it maneuverable as possible. I saved the money I would have spent on an ultra match grade barrel and spent it on a few other expensive pieces that make that gun shoot sweeter than any AR  Ive ever handled. I didn't want to go cheap, but for 3Gun, good enough is good enough.

I guess my advice is try no to get too sucked in to "ultra accurate" barrel scene and use that money on a great trigger, light carrier, quality muzzle break etc. good luck. Hope that helps some.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your insite I'm hopefully getting a nice tax return so im spending it on finishing at least one of my ars
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
My Odin 3gun barrel has shot very well. Especially considering the price, I have been pleased with it. 18" rifle gas.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I am new to all of this but I have been looking at the Faxon 18" melonite barrel, rifle gas, with low pro block.  for about 180.00 at AIM.

I think its 10 bux cheaper on faxons site without the gas block installed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#5]
You may ask in the Industry forum for Faxon and make sure their Barrel at AIM is the newer barrels
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I agonized until Pete at Legal said he had a 3G complete upper on the shelf and would ship that day.  Bingo!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#7]
If your stuck on a 18" Rifle gas the DPMS MK12 is actually very accurate, almost no recoil because it is a heavy profile also.  The other one I would look at is the AR-15Performance line.  Running a 16" Middy brand with a moderate gas port or turning down the gas on a middy is almost as good of an option.  I'm running a Compass Lake 12.5" SBR in 3gun with the CLE223 chamber, I just happened to get a good deal on it and it was the cheapest option at a time (cheaper than cutting down a generic barrel), I've shot a 14.5" and 16" middy, and a 11.5" carbine before also, and planning on taking my 9" 300blk out next go around.

If I was you I would shoot whatever you go to rifle is for training, and only look in to specific 3gun builds when you are already hear the top in your local matches and a advantage may push you over the top.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Odin 3gun barrel has shot very well. Especially considering the price, I have been pleased with it. 18" rifle gas.
View Quote

What he said! My wife has an Odin Works 3 gun barrel, 18 inch rifle gas and she loves it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top