Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2014 7:52:58 PM EDT
Fortis says it fits the vltor but mine doesn't. Is the fortis suppose to leave a gap when assembled? Or does it sit flush? I tried seating it flush with the upper and the rail is not even with the upper rails. The fortis is higher.

Sorry for the sideway iPhone photos.

And i tried to seat it up against my upper and the rail isn't even.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The fortis does fit the Vltor, just not the Noveske Vltor. I'm unsure of the reasoning behind Noveske's change in dimensions. Does Noveske even still sell their version of the Vltor any more?

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fortis does fit the Vltor, just not the Noveske Vltor. I'm unsure of the reasoning behind Noveske's change in dimensions. Does Noveske even still sell their version of the Vltor any more?

View Quote

Good info to know.  Glad I stumbled on this thread, not that I really am looking into any Vltor uppers atm or in the near future.  Anyone else have an idea as to why Noveske went in such a direction?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#3]
My Vltor MUR 1a and Fortis 12" fit perfect. No gap, level rail. This is a standard Vltor, NOT the noveske version.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Good to know, another reason to shun the Vltor Mur (and I have 3)
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The Noveske will not fit rails with tabs. Fortis, centurion and such. If you want to cut the tabs off the rails it will work fine. The standard MUR fits all FF rails that I know of.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

What are the other reasons? I have one in the drawer that keeps calling to be built
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I put a seekins mcsr v2 15" on mine and it fits just fine. I was a bit worried when i ordered it that it wouldnt fit. The fortis was one of the others i had looked at. I was waiting for the noveske nsr 16.7" to become available and grew impatient.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I put a seekins mcsr v2 15" on mine and it fits just fine. I was a bit worried when i ordered it that it wouldnt fit. The fortis was one of the others i had looked at. I was waiting for the noveske nsr 16.7" to become available and grew impatient.
View Quote

I am in the process of selling my Fortis. Do you know if the Seekins BAR quad rail will fit? That's my next move!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good info to know.  Glad I stumbled on this thread, not that I really am looking into any Vltor uppers atm or in the near future.  Anyone else have an idea as to why Noveske went in such a direction?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spoke with someone at Noveske and he kept telling me that Noveske Vltor is same spec and size as regular Vltor, just with their name marked... I think I have a idea! Noveske knew their name would bring sell so people who buy it (like me) wouldn't beable to use any other rail except for their Noveske NSR.... The NSR rail fits fine on the Noveske Vltor!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Noveske will not fit rails with tabs. Fortis, centurion and such. If you want to cut the tabs off the rails it will work fine. The standard MUR fits all FF rails that I know of.
View Quote

I could file or cut the tabs off but wouldn't that make it rotate? Hence the "anti rotation tabs". Lolz
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Ladies and Gentlemen. I have examined the rail and the upper. I have come to the conclusion that the anti rotation tabs were the problem. So I filed off one of the tab completely and filed 2/3 off the other tab. I left it so it can't come loose. I figured it would only come loose and won't get tighter. Now it fits perfect! Its going to be a sweer 300blk Noveske build!
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am in the process of selling my Fortis. Do you know if the Seekins BAR quad rail will fit? That's my next move!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't say, all I know is mine fits perfect.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:50:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What are the other reasons? I have one in the drawer that keeps calling to be built
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See this thread
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Would the Noveske Vltor fit with a Geissele SMR?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#15]
The problem is that the Noveske Mur doesn't have the relief cuts in the upper.  Take a close look at some Vltor Mur uppers.  The front profile of the upper matches a mil-spec upper. On the Noveske Mur the profile is thicker than a standard mil-spec upper.

Image below stolen from Ketchup

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Regular 2013 production Vltor MUR-1A fits a Geissele Mk2 is all I have experience with.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:46:13 AM EDT
[#17]

These are mine. In the top one you can see the rounded area that is the rail relief cut on the vltor mur. This did not exist in the first few batches and was a later design change. Noveske never requested the design change in their specifications because they designed their rails around the upper so it's uppers are squared right there. So yes, the noveske Mur is the same as the original mur, but most aren't running the original profile mur.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=65777

These are mine. In the top one you can see the rounded area that is the rail relief cut on the vltor mur. This did not exist in the first few batches and was a later design change. Noveske never requested the design change in their specifications because they designed their rails around the upper so it's uppers are squared right there. So yes, the noveske Mur is the same as the original mur, but most aren't running the original profile mur.
View Quote

Yeah I ended up filing it down and left one tab. I left the tab that would prevent it from coming loose. I doubt being torqued down 40lbs, it'll come loose. Its nice now!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top