Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2014 1:27:53 PM EDT
I have and it's gone now. Ran off somewhere into the fields...

Contacted vltor and they want me to send the upper in for "inspection" where they are going to determine if they are going to charge me or not for the "repair". No thanks, I'd rather not when clearly the pin came loose; it even made a mark under the hole.

So they tell me my other option is to buy a new shell deflector plate for $50+ and they're going to void my warranty if I do so .

I may just run this setup AS-IS......and show everyone that asks that it's a vltor upper

ETA: I'm going to just run it like this for now until I decide to strip the upper down one day and send it in when it's convenient for me. And if they decide they want to charge me for it, they can keep the damn thing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd send it in and see what they do.

Give them the chance to do their thing.

If they do right by you, post it here.

If they don't do right by you, also post it here.

A lot more effective than just letting those around you see the upper.

Just my $.02.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never seen anybody post about VLTOR CS.

I own a bunch of their stuff, I have just never had an issue nor see anybody posting about problems.

Good luck, let us know how they do.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#3]
IM sent, I'm your Huckleberry.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I own a bunch of their stuff, I have just never has an issue nor see anybody posting about problems.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I own a bunch of their stuff, I have just never has an issue nor see anybody posting about problems.

Me neither, that's why I made this post; to see if anyone else ran into something like this.

I have five of these things and that was the only one that's given me a problem.

Quoted:
A lot more effective than just letting those around you see the upper.

Just my $.02.

yea, but I kind of like it without that bulky thing and it's 0.5oz lighter  but seriously, I'd like to get some protection from the 'elements'.

made just pick up someone's spare...
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#5]
just send it in.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine developed a little wobble over time. They said send it in and they would take care of it even though it was purchased second had (new in box) off this site. They also told me not to try to fix it myself or it would void the warranty (which is odd because it was purchased second hand). Also they would not give me instructions to fix it. All that being said the fact that they wanted to warranty it any way was enough to keep buying their products.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mine developed a little wobble over time. They said send it in and they would take care of it even though it was purchased second had (new in box) off this site. They also told me not to try to fix it myself or it would void the warranty (which is odd because it was purchased second hand). Also they would not give me instructions to fix it. All that being said the fact that they wanted to warranty it any way was enough to keep buying their products.
View Quote

Right, I didn't get the "just send it in and we'll warranty it" I got this:

"There are a couple ways we can go about this repair.

We can set up an RMA for the upper to come back to us for inspection.
If during inspection the issue is found to be a Manufacturer’s Defect, we will repair / replace the upper at no charge and the Manufacturer’s Lifetime Warranty will still stand.
If during inspection the issue is found to be due to improper use, disassembly, or assembly; we will repair the upper for $65.00 (parts and labor) plus shipping and the Manufacturer’s Lifetime Warranty will still stand.

You can purchase the parts needed (Shell Deflector and Roll Pin) for $45.00 plus shipping and the Manufacturer’s Lifetime Warranty will be voided."

I'm going to just run it like this for now until I decide to strip the upper down one day and send it in when it's convenient for me. And if they decide they want to charge me for it, they can keep the damn thing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]
well, I have 3 with FA and shell deflector. Never seen that.
Fuck the warranty anyway, get replacement parts, fix it, keep shooting. Happens again, replace the upper. I like them, and this is just the course of action I'd take.
Does the 1S not come with a door?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does the 1S not come with a door?
View Quote

The door was the only thing left, I took that off and put it away before it found a chance to run off as well.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow that shit sucks. I have 2 of there uppers. On one I took the deflector off for painting and hydrodipping. Put it back together with new rollpin and no problems yet.  would I buy another one of there uppers,  NO.  The shell deflector should never have been able to be removable like that, it is just more things to go wrong with the upper and who ever designed or thought that up should have been put through electroshock therapy because it is just stupid.

Hello Seekins.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I will not use MUR's because of this. This has happened to me on 3 different occasions and all were during a Costa carbine class. Vltor denies it everytime. I even confronted them at SHOT in Jan and the tech was arrogant and wanted me "to send it in." I threw that POS in the trash and stuck with my LaRue and KAC kits.

ETA; This happened on 3 two different MUR 1-A's and a 1-S (no FA). One was a Noveske MUR that was loaned to me after mine fell apart at the same class.most people don't see this problem becuase they do not run as many rounds through them as folks that constatly train, compete or whatever.

Start running a lot of rounds through it and you will see that roll pin walk out slowly.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:The shell deflector should never have been able to be removable like that, it is just more things to go wrong with the upper and who ever designed or thought that up should have been put through electroshock therapy because it is just stupid.

Hello Seekins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:The shell deflector should never have been able to be removable like that, it is just more things to go wrong with the upper and who ever designed or thought that up should have been put through electroshock therapy because it is just stupid.

Hello Seekins.

I totally agree!

Looking at it now, IMO the reason for that design is reduce their expenses. They just make one upper receiver then attach either a Forward assist cover or non-foward assist cover to it; instead of producing two completely different uppers.

ETA:
Quoted:Start running a lot of rounds through it and you will see that roll pin walk out slowly.

+1!! Round count is the KEY to walking that pin out.

to add....this is probably another reason why Noveske decided to make their own uppers.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I totally agree!

Looking at it now, IMO the reason for that design is reduce their expenses. They just make one upper receiver then attach either a Forward assist cover or non-foward assist cover to it; instead of producing two completely different uppers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hello Seekins.

I totally agree!

"MUR" does stand for "Modular Upper Receiver."
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:"MUR" does stand for "Modular Upper Receiver."
View Quote

Yes, at first I thought it was a good idea....
"vltor MUR" to me now stands for "POS".
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#15]

I like how this entire situation is set up. Now Arfcom know what's going on and there is proof of what happened. It can only go two ways from here.

1.) VLTOR decides that it was a manufacturer's defect and replaces it for free and keeps the warranty. This results in cheers for both the OP and VLTOR.

2.) VLTOR decides that it was OP's fault for wrecking the upper and decides to shaft him. This results in a huge backlash against VLTOR in the Arfcom community and OP gets praised.

Dis gun be good. Get back with us on this ASAP.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:"MUR" does stand for "Modular Upper Receiver."

Agreed. People should note that the weapon will still function if the FA/She'll deflector comes off. However, this is unacceptable for a part that costs as much as it is. Most would be well off just using a standard BCM.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#17]
This is an apparent design flaw on the MUR. Has anyone took a look at the new generation MUR's yet to see if they addressed the problem. Some folks I know put a shitload of red loctite in the pin channel to jam the pin into the channel. One guy I know spot welded the hole so the pin cannot walk out. I think it is BS that one has to do these mods to keep a MUR intact. The MUR is the only upper receiver that has ever given me problems. Given the price point, it is nothing but a nice looking upper that may or may not fall apart.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is an apparent design flaw on the MUR. Has anyone took a look at the new generation MUR's yet to see if they addressed the problem. Some folks I know put a shitload of red loctite in the pin channel to jam the pin into the channel. One guy I know spot welded the hole so the pin cannot walk out. I think it is BS that one has to do these mods to keep a MUR intact. The MUR is the only upper receiver that has ever given me problems. Given the price point, it is nothing but a nice looking upper that may or may not fall apart.

YMMV
View Quote

I have a couple 2014's as well and it's the same; only difference is the logo
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#19]
oh shit. Back to Cerro uppers, I guess... goddamn it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Although I think it is a silly design, I wouldn't get too hard on the company yet.  That email is a standard CYA email and I think it is necessary because a lot of people do really stupid things to items they own, especially on AR15s which are highly often modified by their owners. In my business I see customers bring things in for warranty work, and then when a technician looks at the item sometimes it is obviously damage caused by the customer.  I learned long ago not to tell a customer that something will definitely be warranty repair until I see the issue.

I would send it in for them to inspect, and I have a pretty good feeling that they will inspect it and repair it for free.  They just have to make sure you didn't damage something yourself and then try to get them to repair it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top