Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2012 4:03:12 AM EDT
Hi All,

I'm trying to find a nice Variable powered scope preferably up to 16X I'm really not looking to buy a $500 to $1000 scope just a decent scope that isn't going to break my bank.  It just needs to handle a.223 / 556

Thanks,
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 4:12:25 AM EDT
[#1]
nikon m-223. less than 500, good glass.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 4:51:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The centerpoint 16x scope at Walmart is a great scope for 80 dollars. I have been using one on a Fal for several hundred rounds and it holds zero. I have heard nothing but good from others with the same scope. It also has target turrets and is illuminated. I would say it could easily be stamped with a different name and bring 4-5 hundred dollars.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Millett TRS that works well and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#5]
M-223 should fit the bill. Check out the Optics page, lots of info there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
nikon m-223. less than 500, good glass.

+1
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bigjunk 1:
The centerpoint 16x scope at Walmart is a great scope for 80 dollars. I have been using one on a Fal for several hundred rounds and it holds zero. I have heard nothing but good from others with the same scope. It also has target turrets and is illuminated. I would say it could easily be stamped with a different name and bring 4-5 hundred dollars.

I've used the Centerpoint scope and it does the job but is very heavy.
I have an old Simmons on mine (4-16x) and am currently looking to replace it also. Unless I missed something the M223 and it's sister scope only go to 9x. That is not enough for me as I varmint hunt with mine. I've considered the 6-? scopes but I also deer hunt and like the 4x setting for that purpose. Right now I'm looking at the Weaver Kaspa. It's a 4-16x and the 849811 model has a "Ballistic-X Reticle. So far I have found them for @ $160 + shipping. Another consideration is the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x with BDC reticle but that scope is in the $300 range at best. Most places it's more.

If Nikon had their shit together they would have made the "Coyote Special" (4.5-14x) with a continuing vertical hair through the circles. This would have made the perfect all purpose AR scope. Sometimes the simplest little details make the greatest difference and it really sucks when they miss.

HEY NIKON ARE YOU LISTENING ???

OK yes I did miss that the M223 does come in higher magnification but really don't like the exposed turrets.

I stand by what I said about the Coyote Special. Come on Nikon. Just change the reticle.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#8]
@ tbougie1.... HEY SIOUX SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!! SIOUX YA YA!!!

Sorry had to get that out of the way grew up in North Dakota I'm a hardcore UND Fighting Sioux fan

Thanks for all the suggestions I will post pics of my AR once i figure out a scope...

Thanks again all!
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:22:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Take a look at Redfield, made by Leupold right here in the USA. I have a 3-9, and for $200, it is very nice. Throw on a Rock River 1 piece mount for $50, and go shoot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I like my Nikon p223 it's not quite a m223 but it's really good for the value.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd look at the Vortex Viper offerings through any number of vendors.

The Diamondback is a good offering from them as well, I have both, and I prefer the Viper.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#12]
If you don't want to drop the coin on a M-223 (I have 2 and think they are great) or you want more power than the P-223's 9x, you should look at the Nikon prostaff 4-12x with BDC for around 200. It doesn't have the SF like the M-223 but it dies have "covered" zero reset finger turrets. It is a nice piece of glass for little money. For around $300 you could look at the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x I believe it has all the features of the prostaff plus the side focus. If you don't like the BDC they have the Nikoplex (cross hairs) reticle or a mil-dot model. Midway has a 16x buckmaster with mil-dot reticle on sale now for $324.
I suggest the Nikons because these are what I have and am happy with. There are many other scopes in this price range that may be just as good if not better, I'm just not familiar with them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:05:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Take a look at Redfield, made by Leupold right here in the USA. I have a 3-9, and for $200, it is very nice. Throw on a Rock River 1 piece mount for $50, and go shoot.

This.  I bought a Redfield 3-9x40 for $160 shipped from Outdoor Outfitters, and there's a $30 rebate from Redfield til July 8, so I got a nice scope for basically $130.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#14]
$130 for a Redfield? That is a smokin deal...I took two rifles to the range the other day, one has a Vortex Viper and the other has the Redfield. Shot the Vortex one for an hour or so, Then picked up the one with the Redfield. First thing I immediately noticed was the color/contrast was noticeably better with the Redfield. Don't get me wrong, the Vortex is one heckofa scope, and I wouldn't trade mine, but the Redfield was better in the color/contrast area.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I would have given the Redfield serious consideration vs. all the other "budget" scopes in the same category (Nikon P223, etc.) at $160, considering it's a Leupold company, but with the rebate it was really a no-brainer, IMO.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top