Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2012 2:42:09 PM EDT
Ok, longtime creeper, waiting until the day I could finally afford my own "Black Rifle" and now I have one, and BRD has completely taken hold.  Picked up a DPMS 55.6/223. Oracle brand new, with full intention of starting from the grip up on customizing to what I believe will be my ideal gun.  I've looked through tons of pics of everyone's builds, and am amazed at the things possible.  My question is, knowing its probably common knowlege among most other members here,  is that I'd like to install a FF rail system on my rifle. It currently has the standard plastic handguards and a railed gas block.  I would much rather prefer to pick up some Troy or MI HK styled flip up BUIS, and also being able to have a greater amount of "rail" estate between them. As I believe I understand that a greater sight radius is a helpful thing when using irons, which I prefer anyway.  I realize to do this I've got a few options, but would I'd like to do, is install a VLTOR low pro gas block, then a rifle length FF, maybe a DD or something along those lines.  Trying to have the rail end up very close to the muzzle, maybe 2 inches or so.  I've already installed a Magpul MIAD grip (black) a couple of Pmags, and I just ordered a Magpul MOE stock and trigger guard.  Any help or advice on how to proceed will be greatly appreciated, and as soon as i get the hang of posting pics, they will follow!

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll need to remove the flash hider, and most likely the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I put a set of Troy 13.8" FF rails on my 16" carbine. Had to cut off the delta ring and remove the spring and clip, but the Troy FF rails used the stock barrel nut. Also had to replace the FSB with a low profile gas block to fit under the rails. Adding the new gas block required removing the flash suppressor too. All told, took about an hour to do. Looked nice when finished.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks pj, how difficult was it getting the delta ring off?  dremel do the job? if so is there a link to some pics of the finished look?

really appreciate the fast feedback!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I recently replaced a troy battle rail two piece non FF to a MI gen 2 extended carbine 2 piece FF rail. It is a piston gun so I had to have the cutout for the gas block/piston assembly. With the MI and the previously mentioned Troy rails removal of delta ring, split ring, and weld spring is extremely easy with a dremel and cut off wheel. It takes about 5 min to do. Be careful you dont slip up and nick your reciever. The Troy and MI rails use regular barrel nuts. If you go with a DD rail, you will have to completely remove stock barrel nut/D ring assembly. If you have a vise block and armorers wrench it is very easy to do. I have a DD lite rail on a 7.62 gun and they are very nice.

Finished:
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome set up charlie, plan on making a 7.62 myself someday in the future as well, but what were the specs on the MI two piece you picked up as far as length? Is that a gemtech can on there too?
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 4:17:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I put a set of Troy 13.8" FF rails on my 16" carbine. Had to cut off the delta ring and remove the spring and clip, but the Troy FF rails used the stock barrel nut. Also had to replace the FSB with a low profile gas block to fit under the rails. Adding the new gas block required removing the flash suppressor too. All told, took about an hour to do. Looked nice when finished.

Also, you can cut down and refinish your FSB saving some $ and still retaining the original pinned gas block.

That's pretty much what I did.

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
thanks pj, how difficult was it getting the delta ring off?  dremel do the job? if so is there a link to some pics of the finished look?

really appreciate the fast feedback!!

Used a Dremel with a cutting disk; the hardest part was making sure I didn't cut into anything important.

Alas, I don't have pictures and I later removed the Troy 13.8" rails for use on a different project and put a set of the MI 2 piece FF carbine length rails on the 16".
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Woops - didn't mean to hit the submit key twice. Finger spasm. That's the same finger as I use on my trigger - could account for some of the lousy groups I been punching lately...
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#9]
MI just came out with the Gen 2 FF two piece rails. They said it would be compatible with the AA piston kit but they must have used the newer low profile piston kits because I had to cut off a rail slot or two on top and grind out some chunks from the inside on the bottom half. It was no big deal though, I have a thread in the industry/MI section with lots of pics of what I did. 2-3" of barrel stick out past the rail, YHM QD SS 7.62 Phantom is out front. Its reaaaal nice. Getting my hand out that far with the AFG really makes managing the extra wieght of the can way easier than carbine length rail.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#10]
gonna check that post out on the MI forums charlie, thanks! and im not entirely sure my gas block is pinned, i can see two allen set screws on the underside of it, just havent bothered taking a wrench to it, still wanna get some tools together, punch set, armorers wrench, etc... that and i've kept busy installing those magpul goodies i ordered, and slapping a cheapo barska red dot (which will have a future home on my gsg5 when i get the mount and i get a nicer 4x optic for the ar) on top. itching to fire her, but been working a lot of overtime to save up for some quality parts and possibly another upper.... damnitall! it has begun! lol, maybe a 9mm would be fun....
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is mine with the MI 15" on an M4 barrel. This isn't the final configuration pic, but you get the idea.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#12]
In case you're curious here's a pic of a 16" bull barrell I built with a carbine length gas system.  Had quite a few people ask me if it was an SBR.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I get SBR questions on this too but it looks cool

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a 14" Daneil Defense Lite rail put on my gun. Carbine length gas system. Just took a low profile gas block.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top