Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2011 5:13:48 PM EDT
I'm starting another build, with money being no object.
I want my upper to have a 16" barrel and a midlength (9 inch) freefloat railed handguard, with either a standard FSB or none at all (none of that barrel pinned flip down stuff)
I would prefer a Bushmaster, but they don't make any midlengths, and I really don't want to cut down/replace a FSB.
The only manufacturers I can find that make a midlength 16" upper are Bravo Company USA, Spikes Tactical and Rock River. Don't really like DPS/Double Star/CMMG
I've heard that Rock River makes more entry level stuff, not higher end stuff.
No experience whatsoever with Spikes Tactical.
Alot of people here on ARFcom seem to like BCM, and I'm leaning towards a BCM upper as well. Here's the one I picked out

What do you guys think of BCM? If you could choose any upper, would you choose a BCM? Or a Spikes Tactical? Or an RRA upper?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]
That's an excellent choice.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Daniel Defense also makes middys.

I'd pick BCM or DD equally for a 16" middy. Over pretty much anything else, especially bushmaster, which in my experience is about equal to DPMS/CMMG/RRA/DS

It depends on what you want. Both DD and BCM fit your requirements, and are at the top of the heap across the board. Smart Gunner seems to be the go-to place for DD.

I'd pick either DD or BCM based on their reputations, recommendations, and endorsements. Which none of the others, even spikes, have.

A completely different thought would be to call adco and have them build you a "Custom Cruiser", which is a midlength dissy. 16" bbl, midlength gas with rifle handguards and a fixed FSP at the rifle position. However, it come stock with the goofy RRA UTE upper. I'm sure you could order it with a flat top instead.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's an excellent choice.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Oops!!!...wrong thread.......<><....:)
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Daniel Defense also makes middys.

I'd pick BCM or DD equally for a 16" middy. Over pretty much anything else, especially bushmaster, which in my experience is about equal to DPMS/CMMG/RRA/DS

It depends on what you want. Both DD and BCM fit your requirements, and are at the top of the heap across the board. Smart Gunner seems to be the go-to place for DD.

I'd pick either DD or BCM based on their reputations, recommendations, and endorsements. Which none of the others, even spikes, have.

A completely different thought would be to call adco and have them build you a "Custom Cruiser", which is a midlength dissy. 16" bbl, midlength gas with rifle handguards and a fixed FSP at the rifle position. However, it come stock with the goofy RRA UTE upper. I'm sure you could order it with a flat top instead.

very informative. Daniel looks promising also, thanks for reminding me of their existence :D
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out Palmetto's uppers.  They also have 16 midlengths with rails.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Dont forget about Noveske, they make a mid m4 and you can add whatever rail you like..

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#8]
noveske looks promising. havent heard alot about them though
PSA is always a good choice too, thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Look at La Rue! You can not go wrong there!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Money not an issue? I would go with Noveske in a heartbeat.

Edit: Or a POF :)
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:55:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to cast a vote for the Daniel Defense.  I got one from smartgunner a while back when they were having some pretty awesome sales (and awesome backorders).

I got a 16" midlength with a 12" Omega-X rail for $499.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:59:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Money no issue I think about JP rifles, a custom MSTN build, Stealth, Noveske, Seekins, etc.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#13]
the larue uppers look tantalizing along with the daniel defense
noveske still looks promising, ill have to do some research on them
thx for the replies
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I totally forgot about LWRC
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Money no object? Got an SR-25 in the safe we could sell you!

On a more serious note, you hear the Noveske name a lot, if I had tons of bucks I'd probably try them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#16]
BCM 100%

Google "Filthy 14"

Check out the chart here
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#17]
-At 26,450 rds had 3 failures to extract. Replaced BCG and cleaned gun for the first time

holy shit
props to BCM, ill start looking into them again
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#18]
RRA is much less flavor of the month around here than they used to be, but I have to tell you that my RRA middy upper is a quality unit. Tack driver, nice finish.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:13:52 AM EDT
[#19]
no budget build it yourself.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#20]
As soon as I'm not worried about money I'm going with Black Rain Ordinance.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

i agree 100 percent!
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i agree 100 percent!

+1 their stuff looks incredible but its out of my price range
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Black Rain..A guy locally sells them, been meaning to go fondle some of their stuff.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

no budget build it yourself.

HA!  Yeah.  I thought on my last build that I'd buy everything separately so I could keep costs down.  I ended up spending a lot more!  Oh well.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd do one of these.

Add a midlength barrel, gas tube, and whatever else you want.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top