Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 5:48:39 PM EDT
Honestly, I did have of it in my bedroom and the other half on my workbench. Hardest part was getting the roll pin in the trigger guard and that was it. I thought I was going to have a hard time with the trigger and hammer but did not. Used the yellow JP springs, hope they hope with the trigger a bit.

Don't see a reason to buy a full lower anymore when assembling one is both easy and therapeutic
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats kinda how I see it. Besides that damn roll pin for the bolt release and trigger guard, its real easy. Most of mine now are built. Some lowers are harder to assemble than others though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thats kinda how I see it. Besides that damn roll pin for the bolt release and trigger guard, its real easy. Most of mine now are built. Some lowers are harder to assemble than others though.

Really I think the bolt release was the easiest. Taped the shit out of it, then just tapped it in like butter.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh hell no on my lower both were tighter than hell.
Getting my trigger guard roll pin BACK out for a magpul trigger guard is proving to be a task.  Going to work it partway out and get the vice grips and work it slowly out so I do not get a break in the lower.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a few from a certain manufacturer that were really tight. Most of the time like you said they're real easy (especially with billet lowers) but for some reason this one companies just were hell to get in. I bought more of the same ones because except for that, it was GTG. I also use Daniel Defense LPKs because the pins are rolled and you can crush one end a little to start it off.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#5]
This was built with a Anvil Arms lower, RRA LPK and the JP trigger springs.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Now it's time for you to start assembling upper receivers.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a big bag of pivot pin detents. See how far you can launch them. It's a blast.

ETA: I make it a drinking game.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I agree!

And that's easy too....although it is wise to invest in the right tools.

Well done the OP; go and do an upper as well, and and as you have found per your lower, you'll never buy a complete upper again, either! :)
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh hell no on my lower both were tighter than hell.
Getting my trigger guard roll pin BACK out for a magpul trigger guard is proving to be a task.  Going to work it partway out and get the vice grips and work it slowly out so I do not get a break in the lower.

I would not do it that way.. You need to tap it out using a roll pin punch. Get a hocky puck and drill a 1/8 hole in it and tap it into the hole.. If you try to use vice grips and grop the pin to twist/pull the pin out it puts all that force on the ear and will most likely break..
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get a big bag of pivot pin detents. See how far you can launch them. It's a blast.

ETA: I make it a drinking game.

The tool for that is worth every penny.
Dave N

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:26:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I use the old clevis pin installation tool from the local hardware store.

Works great and the price is right.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:31:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:41:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
uppers are easier to assemble inmo

I agree.  I really like installing barrels, gas tubes, etc...  Buying the right tools was worth every penny.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:30:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use the old clevis pin installation tool from the local hardware store.

Works great and the price is right.

This.  Two dozen lowers built and I've yet to launch a pin anywhere.  There is no excuse for risking a launched pin when a clevis pin is only a buck.  Buying replacement detents and springs will cost you that much not to mention the aggravation.  And using razor blades, not this old man.  I'd cut my fingers off.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:18:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Why didn't you ask?
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:46:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Mechanically the parts go together a bit easier.  But doing it RIGHT is a different story.

Some of the threads in the "build it yourself" forum are troubling to say the least.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:03:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I've built a few lowers myself, and just helped my brother build his first.   Very easy to do, just take your time.   My brother isn't very mechanically inclined, but even he didn't find it to hard.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree!

And that's easy too....although it is wise to invest in the right tools.

Well done the OP; go and do an upper as well, and and as you have found per your lower, you'll never buy a complete upper again, either! :)

Funny, I started with my uppers and finally just did a lower the past few weeks......
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you see something unsafe please hit the report button  

I don't think it's a matter of safety as much as... for example...  "i put this barrel on and the FSB is canted way to the left"... and guys shimming index pins with soda cans, etc.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I attended Small Arms Maintenance School back in 2000 at Fort Drum. I was surprised how easy it was as well. To me the hardest part was always pushing down on the trigger group while getting the pin in - everything lined up. Of course it's noticeably harder with the 3-round burst, extra sear.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Use a roll punch to keep everything lined up, while you work the pin in from the other side. Easy peasy!
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
To me the hardest part was always pushing down on the trigger group while getting the pin in - everything lined up.

I've used a q-tip shaft as a slave pin.  But I got an actual slave pin that came out of a Geissele trigger group that we installed for a guy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#27]
It isn't easy for everyone

I've actually found that a pair of vise grips with a little duct tape on one jaw (to protect the lower) is the best tool to use for assembly.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I did end up with what appears to be a spring and a roll pin left over.

Function tested the lower and everything appears to be in place. Installed on upper and everything works fine. Very weird I had left over parts.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top