Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 1:22:04 PM EDT
I'm building an AR using a Noveske upper/lower and DD LPK. I'm also installing a Magpul MIAD grip. I'm having a problem getting the screw for the MIAD to tighten all the way. I have removed the grip and tried putting the screw in by itself and I have tried the screw that came with the LPK (it is shorter than the Magpul). Does anyone have any advise? Should I find an even shorter screw or use washers as shims? I'm worried about the shims causing the grip to loosen over time. I don't want to strip out the threads on my lower by trying to force it.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd use washers.  If you're really concerned about them loosening, go to Lowe's and buy a locking washer with "teeth" on one side.  Place the washers on the bolt with the locking washer last (teeth side up).  tighten down and forget about it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I found the thread locker they installed on the screw made it very difficult to turn. You can clean it off with a wire brush and put on liquid if you wish, but I find the star washer holds it fine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine was so tight I had to use a power drill
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Oops...doubletap...see below post....<><....:)
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I suggest removing any excessive thread locker first and staying away for a power driver if you can. Never force anything when working on guns or machinery, especially fine machinery and stuff made to pretty close tolerances...<><....
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Tap the hole properly.  Evidently it wasn't tapped all the way thru.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's probably not the hole. It's a common issue with Magpul grip screws; They put so much damn thread locker on them they're really tough to install. Personally, I just throw the magpul screw in a box and use a std hex cap screw and star washer. I've never had any issues this way, use it on all of my grips, and don't have to screw around with a damn flat head screw driver inside the grip.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the input! I thought it might be the Loc-tite but the screw from the LPK didn't have any and it would go in either.

Put me in a padded cell with 2 metal ball-bearings and in less than 5 minutes I'll lose one and break the other.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I found the thread locker they installed on the screw made it very difficult to turn. You can clean it off with a wire brush and put on liquid if you wish, but I find the star washer holds it fine.

When I used the screw that came with my MIAD, I had to lay the gun on the floor to get the leverage needed with the screw driver to put it on there and get it tightened down.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#11]
If the screw without thread locker gave you trouble then I would suggest running a tap in there the clean the threads. There's no reason it should take that much force and if it does something is wrong. I would slow things down and find the problem before you end up with a broken screw.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've had to do this.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:13:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I had the same issue with a Magpul grip and Rock River Lower.   I removed the locktite they had put on the screw and still couldn't get the screw to advance all the way.  I cleaned the threads of the lower with a tap.  Do not force the screw.
Had a similar issue with another Magpul grip and RRA lower that I was helping my brother build.   I removed all the locktiite from the grip and it went in fine after that.  Still a little tight, but nothing like the first one.  Just don't use a power drill or force the screw in.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I used the screw that came with my MIAD, I had to lay the gun on the floor to get the leverage needed with the screw driver to put it on there and get it tightened down.

I just did a build with a MOE grip.  It went in there, but it was a lot of work.  They did not skip on the thread locker.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I've installed four MIADs on three different brand lowers.  They ALL had a tough time getting the screw in.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Remove the grip and take a look at the threaded hole in the lower.

Did you fubar the threads by cross-threading the screw?

I've done that.  

Luckily a $5 tap from NAPA fixed it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I had the same problem with a MIAD that I installed last night. Magpul went a bit overkill on the included blue threadlocker already on the screw. This was the issue. Got a ratchet to finish the install.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top