Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 3:33:36 AM EDT
Why are these damn things so hard to remove??

I feel I have beaten these pins like they owed me money or something and I still can't get them to budge. I've used a torch to heat the FSB, I have soaked them in penetrating fluid, NOTHING.

What do I have to do to get these damned pins out? I am cutting down the FSB to go under a full length rail.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:04:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Hammer and punch and a very solid bench vise so all your energy gets transferred to the pins.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOA0jA0Ei74

This is generally the process. If memory serves, some pins are tapered, so there is a specific in/out direction. It's debatable if you need the bench-block though. You could probably skate by w/ just some wood.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a taper pin punch to avoid flattening the heads.  If they flatten, they will make a mess coming out, or never come out.

I froze my upper to get them out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn these pins.

They still wont come out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Damn these pins.

They still wont come out.

A 4 pound sledge got mine out! And no, I am not kidding!  This was after I flattened them and had to grind down the part that I flattened.  I was wondering if I was going to bend the barrel!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Watching those brownell videos and seeing him lightly tap them out is pissing me off! Time for a bigger hammer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#7]
VICTORY!

I had to put the upper on a concrete floor covered by a rug and then I beat on the pin with a heavy brass hammer directly onto the pin (no punch). Once the pin recessed a bit I was able to go to the punch. I had to beat the hand guard mount flat to get to the rear pin the same way. After that they came out easy. I had the FSB resting on a piece of 1x4 with a hole drilled in it so the pin could go down into it.

What a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
VICTORY!

I had to put the upper on a concrete floor covered by a rug and then I beat on the pin with a heavy brass hammer directly onto the pin (no punch). Once the pin recessed a bit I was able to go to the punch. I had to beat the hand guard mount flat to get to the rear pin the same way. After that they came out easy. I had the FSB resting on a piece of 1x4 with a hole drilled in it so the pin could go down into it.

What a pain in the ass.

WOW, sounds like a lot of work for something that could have just been cut off on the barrel & sanded smooth to look nice. That was gonna be my suggestion, til I got to your last post.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
SHOP PRESS!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is what all the trouble was for....

No before pics, no during pics, just the after.

I cut down the front sight base, which came out really good. That is the Troy MRF 13.5" rail. Good stuff. Now just a few hundred more dollars in parts and it will be as tacticool as possible.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top