Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2010 6:26:02 PM EDT
I would like to start off by saying, "Hi" to everyone on this site, it's my first time posting and I've been looking around this site for a few months. I am in the planning/buying stage for my first ar-15 and hope to complete it within a few months. I am somewhat lost however on specifics of what parts i need so i'll explain below. (I have read the "$500 Build/buy" thread that is already up and learned a few things from that, however I don't want to derail his thread with questions specific to me. )

My Goal: Build an AR-15 with a price as close to $500 as possible. (I know I will spend more but the goal is to stay close )
(ideal gun is; fixed stock, A3 upper w/ no flash hider, some kind of picatany rail system on the hand guards and whatever is the cheapest barrel length, hopefully chromed aswell.)

My problem: I live in CT; this means that by me having a pistol grip and a detachable mag I cannot have, Flash hider, Collapsable stock or a Bayonet Lug.

Specifics:
I read the best way to save some money is buying a stripped lower and the assembly parts for it. I will probably buy a complete upper because I don't think I have the tools to complete one. One problem with buying the complete upper is that most come with flash hiders or bayonet lugs which are not compliant in my state. If anyone can help me with that I'd appreciate it alot.
I have a few hundred dollars atm which I will most likely spend to make a complete lower/stock and buy the upper at a later time.

My main question is what exactly do I need to buy, to complete the lower w/ fixed stock. I am willing to stalk EE till I find the parts, or if you could kindly direct me to a site with lower priced items that would be greatly appreciated.

I am open to any and all suggestions on this build and I thank you in advance for your responses.

-Alex
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought the kit first and then the lower, I dont know if you can have a permanatly atached muzzle device if so this one is a good price fixed stock and if you purchace one of those $89 lowers it would put you at about $610 plus ffl transfer and shipping. You dont pay tax on the kit since your not in TX.

Oh, sorry, also let me say welcome to the dark side!

edit, it would help if I add the link

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=220
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Del-ton (and most other custom makers) can set you up with an upper premade with your choices of parts and the pinned and welded comp. My cousin has one and we've been very impressed with the quality for the price.
If you choose something that does NOT come pre welded have it shipped to Jo-Jo's and have them perm-attach the comp before transferring it unless you don't have a lower at all yet. It isn't worth the potential hassles.

A fixed stock is mandatory here, unless you get a preban lower, it's just a question of whether it's made to look like a collapsing one, pinned, or made to look like a fixed stock from the start. I have a Cavarms lower that I love but they're not for everyone and they're a lot harder to get now.

I was really impressed with the build quality on the del-ton. The bolt isn't all fancy but works just fine, assembly was well done and nothing's wiggled loose or been an issue. We have never seriously tested for accuracy, but it's been good enough we haven't noticed one way or the other so it certainly isn't BAD. The pin and weld on the comp was truly impressive. You really have to look to see where they did it because they refinished that spot afterward. You can kind of see the change in color but if anything it's almost too good a job, I can see some over zealous leo giving him issues at some point.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses. I looked at Del Ton and their prices/reviews seem pretty good and I will most likely use them for an assembled upper. ( http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Barrel_Assembly_p/dt1015.htm , is the upper im looking at atm so I would be building my lower around that.)

Their lowers are pretty cheap however they cost $120 for the stripped lower, $55 for the parts and $65 for the stock totaling $240; which is the same cost if you buy it pre-assembled from them.
If there is somewhere that sells the lower parts cheaper, id rather buy from there to save a bit of money. If i buy the lower and upper from del ton it would run me $635 before shipping and ffl transfer fees. Still pretty cheap but looking to knock a few dollars off the lower by assembling if myself, if possible.

Also I'm not really preferential on a fixed a2 stock or the telescoping one that has been pinned... pretty much which ever one is cheaper is the one i'll buy.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in the wonderful state of Ct. and for my first build I ordered a Kit from M&A parts. The M4 kit I ordered ran ran about $500. I told them i needed a Post ban kit and it came with a A2 style muzzle brake, the Bayonet lug removed, and the collasible stock pinned. The only thing I didn't like was the Bolt/ carrier. It worked after I changed the Extractor spring. I ended up replacing the bolt carrier with a Bravo Company. This small problem was probably a fluke and I would buy another kit from M&A in a heartbeat.
This is the best way to make a CT. legal Ar with the least headache.  The only thing other than the kit you will need is a Lower.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, welcome to the board.....and to the additional complexities of configuring an AR in CT.

Generally, I wouldn't advocate any of the above mentioned options, but within your budget, you have limited options.  Those recommendations are probably the cheapest way to go, along with getting an A2 fixed stock.

FWIW, I'll mention that once I figured out how I wanted my ARs set up, I generally began budgeting about $150 to get myself in compliance with CT laws.  First, I use the PWS FSC556 because its not considered a flash hider ($90 vs. an $8 A2 flash hider).  Second, I have that PWS permed on ($30).  Third, I buy collapsible stocks an have them pinned ($30).  And lastly, I have the bayonet lugs removed from my FSBs ($15).

Good luck with your first build.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I just don't understand why someone would want to build an AR15 for $500.  Can you explain the reason for this?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Im 21, going to college atm paying for it myself which is where the money constraint comes from. I want a gun because i live on 8 acres of land, all of it being woods, and my neighbors have probably double or triple that and I would like to start shooting on it/some hunting/home defense weapon. I like the look of the ar-15 and rifles in general and i didnt want to get a shotgun for various reasons.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top