Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 3:13:18 PM EDT
I recently put on a Larue 13.2, and noticed today that the handguard is canted slightly to the left.  I've had so many issues with fitment of the parts that it is driving me nuts.  What step did I not do, that makes the handguard align correctly?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently put on a Larue 13.2, and noticed today that the handguard is canted slightly to the left.  I've had so many issues with fitment of the parts that it is driving me nuts.  What step did I not do, that makes the handguard align correctly?

Is this a rifle caliber? If so, did you install the gas tube? If the barrel nut is properly aligned to allow the gas tube through, then you probably skipped a tooth for the indexing pins.

If it's a pistol cal, or a .22 upper, your barrel nut may not be properly aligned with the upper.

Need to know more about your setup to troubleshoot it.

ETA: You DID put in the little brass colored spacer in there, right?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are talking about the half circle piece that fits next to the receiver and has the teeth on it, yes it is on there.

It is on a Colt flattop upper with a .223 barrel.  Yes I installed a gas tube.  I really had to crank on the barrel nut to get it to line up.

EDIT- nevermind what I said about the half circle piece.  I know what you are talking about, the piece with the 2 pins on it.  Yes it is in there also.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Barrel nut isn't indexed properly. I always test fit the rail as I tighten the barrel nut and sneak up on the dead on indexing.

It can be a pain. The last two rails I installed have been DD lites's to avoid the hassle of this.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Barrel nut isn't indexed properly. I always test fit the rail as I tighten the barrel nut and sneak up on the dead on indexing.

It can be a pain. The last two rails I installed have been DD lites's to avoid the hassle of this.

Can you explain how to do this?  I've heard that doing a freefloat is much easier than normal handguards, but my first experience with a freefloat screams the exact opposite.  I've never had a problem installing a normal barrel nut/standard handguards.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Use a carry handle or the special jig on the market to align rails to ensure top dead center.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you explain how to do this?  I've heard that doing a freefloat is much easier than normal handguards, but my first experience with a freefloat screams the exact opposite.  I've never had a problem installing a normal barrel nut/standard handguards.

Even though the gas tube fits, the barrel nut isn't lined up right on where it needs to be. You are either short of time or over timed, depending on how the rail is canted. When I have done them, I crank it up just short of time and test fit. Then tighten it in small incraments to get it right on. Test fitting the rail each time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Use a carry handle or the special jig on the market to align rails to ensure top dead center.

Once the barrel nut is indexed properly this can help as you tighten the rail nut. I'm not sure if this works on the LaRue, I don't think a carry handle will span the gap, I think it hits the rail nut.

I just use a straight edge and snug the rail nut by hand then use the strap wrench.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like I was making it harder than it needed to be.  Gas tube that just came from the EE was bent.  I'd say that's 99% of it there.  Thanks for the help guys.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top