Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 10:23:47 AM EDT
i am a lefty and am wanting to build my own ar. while building the lower can i simply put the safety selector switch in on the right side rather that the usual left side?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#1]
no the detent holes will not line up
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#2]
just get an ambidextrous selector.  they about 25 bucks
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
i shoot left handed too and i found 2 choices. ambi or a lefty i like the ambi cause my friends can still shoot my gun
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]
another option, IF YOU'RE UP TO IT,(after all its the build it yourself forum) is to duplicate the stepped hole in the lower for the detent, on the other side of the  grip tang. this will put the detent on the other side. drawback is the positions are reversed. i.e.safe is forward.
rumor has it a new colt (dont know which one) can be reversed. dont know for sure. if it had the detents milled on both sides of the selector,from the factory, just for this purpose, thats obviously the way to go. i think its the one with a star looking thing on the selector lever.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't mess with the safety at all, it could be dangerous to confuse someone by installing it on the other side with detents drilled into it.

Just get an ambi safety and be done with it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I ditched my ambi safeties.  Just use your trigger finger or your thumb around the back of the pistol grip.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top