Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 3:26:52 PM EDT
Im new the the forum and im sure this isnt the first and wont be the last time yall will be asked this:

Im going to build my first AR, and ive been doing alot of research and I have a few questions:

Ok, im pretly sure I want a 16in Heavy barrell but, how much more range will I get out of a 20in barrell??

Im going to get steel sights, if im planing on getting a scope should i get some flip down sights??

If im going to get a striped lower, is it worth getting a parts kit with a 2 stage match trigger??

Ive really only been pricing out parts on RRA and Stag, are there any other Brands or Makers that are more reasonably priced??

Thanks alot guys glad to be apart of the community
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome, I hope you know after your first you will be hooked

Barrel length depends on what you will be using the gun for and what range you will be shooting, I have a 16" and a 20" but I usually shoot 100 yds or less so I can't tell much difference in accuracy.

If you are planning on putting optics on your gun I would go ahead and get flip down sights so you only have to buy them once unless you are wanting to co-witness a holo type with them, then you can go either way.

trigger depends on your preference If you are buying a gun kit you can use the one that comes with it and upgrade later.

As for manufacturers you might try J & T, M & A, Model 1 sales or Del-Ton. I have a Model one kit gun and a J & T also, the J & T costs a little more but in my opinion it is well worth it, everyone says del-ton makes good stuff but they are really far behind from what I hear.

Best thing is to lurk around, look at the pics of guns posted and try to figure out what you really want, there are millions of possibilities.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Marmilia

also, I noticed there are no directions on this site how to assemble an upper half am i just not looking in the right place??
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, im pretly sure I want a 16in Heavy barrell but, how much more range will I get out of a 20in barrell??

Depending on the quality of the barrel you will not only get more range but better accuracy at longer distances with a 20" barrel compared to a 16".  I only have a 16" barrel at the moment so I can't tell you how much better in either category.

Im going to get steel sights, if im planing on getting a scope should i get some flip down sights??

Even if you decide to co-witness with your optics, you can still do this with flip up/down BUIS (Backup Iron sights).  You're probably better off going with flip-up sights vs. static iron sights.  Especially if you are going to get a real scope later on.

If im going to get a striped lower, is it worth getting a parts kit with a 2 stage match trigger??

This depends on what you're trying to do with the gun.  A 2 stage trigger is useful for shooting really accurate (like if you're trying to get all your shoots in a group to touch.  If your just using the gun for regular going to the range and shooting/plinking, I'd save the $100+ and just go with a standard LPK's trigger.  They are more than fine for regular shooting.

Ive really only been pricing out parts on RRA and Stag, are there any other Brands or Makers that are more reasonably priced??

I'm not sure about more reasonably priced, but what I'd recommend doing is in line with what the guy above mentioned.  Go to some of the picture threads on this site and find parts you like the look of (there's such a huge variety out there, you can build the gun to look many many different ways).  Or go to the board sponors websites and browse what they sell.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top