Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2008 2:54:42 PM EDT
So, I've been researching and reading, and finally came down to my ultimate AR-15 on model1sales.com after just picking up my lower from a local shop.  I just can't decide between a stainless steel barrel, or a chrome lined chamber or bore (which doesn't let me select barrel type).

Can any you offer opinions/suggestions for my dilemma here?  What is the key difference between the two options?  Which setup will last longer through rugged/harsh use, should it be used as such?

THANKS!
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#1]
What is your use for the rifle going to be?

Chrome lined barrels theoritically will last longer, are easier to clean, they will take a little more abuse with higher ROF & help protect the bore. However, there will be some accuracy loss but I doubt it's enough for a range plinker to notice.

SS barrels are nice for the match shooter because they are generally more accurate but they will not last as long under harsh use.

I don't plink & I don't shoot matches. I shoot strictly because of my work so it's all chrome lined for me. I would still recommend chrome lined for anyone regardless if you want to pay a little extra for it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Chrome is a highly effective lubricant surface treatment. Especially important in an autoloader, the chrome chamber can add to feeding/extraction function. In other words, chrome will slick up the chamber providing improved function.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:

Chrome lined barrels theoritically will last longer, are easier to clean, they will take a little more abuse with higher ROF & help protect the bore. However, there will be some accuracy loss but I doubt it's enough for a range plinker to notice.

SS barrels are nice for the match shooter because they are generally more accurate but they will not last as long under harsh use.

I don't plink & I don't shoot matches. I shoot strictly because of my work so it's all chrome lined for me. I would still recommend chrome lined for anyone regardless if you want to pay a little extra for it.

My primary use will be targeting, plinkng, and self defense/tactical.  Basically a ginsu of home defense usage.  From your post I get the impression that chrome lined is probably the best for my needs... Correct?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My primary use will be targeting, plinkng, and self defense/tactical.  Basically a ginsu of home defense usage.  From your post I get the impression that chrome lined is probably the best for my needs... Correct?

You can't go wrong with a chrome lined chamber & bore for anything that mentioned. As some the more hip arfcom members always say in the chrome line threads..."Go chrome or go home."
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top