Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 4:21:12 PM EDT
Looking to make my own custom gas block.  Adjustable port would be nice.  Anyone have any insights or tricks?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Insights?  nope.  Not much to them.  Pretty basic machine work.  The only appeal to the factory blocks are the fancy contours.  I'll never buy one again.

I made one from 11L44 barstock and a couple from raw forgings I bought from Garrison a few years ago, and they work.  

I made the 1144 about 0.003" oversize on the barrel by accident, but with the setscrew underneath and opposite the gas port I see almost NO gas leakage.  I probably could have made the barrel hole even larger.

The "adjustable port" is just a pointy set screw inline with the gas port hole to restrict flow, inbetween the barrel and the gastube.  

Next time I am home I will drill that barstock gas block for a setscrew and drill out the barrel gas port from 0.071 to maybe .093 (300 whisper build, pistol port gas location).  I think I will add in a nylon faced setscrew at right angles to add drag to the "throttle" setscrew.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top