Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 2:09:21 PM EDT
I'm not new to building AR's but am always looking for ways to build them better. Are there any tips for "accurizing" a new build as you assemble? I know there is a group build going on today in my area. I read posts in an outdoor forum that they were going to accurize as they assembled, like fitting the barrel extension to the receiver and smoothing the trigger group. Are there any little tips or techniques that will help tighten shot groups as you build? I mostly use my rifles for informal shooting off the bench and coyote hunting but am always trying to improve shot groups to be able to thumb my nose at the "bolt gun" group.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Almost any AR will out shoot the average shooter.  You can do things like add a free float and likely pick up marginal improvements, but really I think the concept you're looking at is a great deal of hype.

I mean really that Blackthorne kit I put together with a Midwest freefloat and an Eotech 512 was shooting consistent hole touching three shot groups.  The AR is an incredibly accurate rifle as is.

Yes a smooth trigger will help some, yes a free float will help some, on and on...

At 100, 200, 300 the reason it's hard to shoot touching groups has less to do with the rifle and more to do with the big square front sight post and the size of your target.  In reality you aren't aiming at the same spot shot after shot.  Put an optic on there so you shrink 200 down to about 50 and you'll likely find your AR is quite accurate as is.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe you're probably right. All my rifles have free float tubes. All my rifles have
6 -24X44 scopes...no open sites. Outside of adding high dollar components, ie. barrels,
trigger groups,  maybe glass bed, they're probably as good as it gets. I should probably work on my loads but loading for an auto loader leaves me with a lot of questions. I'm a "one shot at a time" guy never a rapid fire. My hunting mags are 10 shot only. I thought the accurizing pitch was probably hype, as did a few others who responded to the group buy pitch. But sometimes there are things ya just don't know about so you have to ask the question.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
best thing you can do to increase accuracy (besides getting yourself better at shooting) is get a good trigger.

I personally don't like 2 stage triggers... I've tried them on AR's... but I've always used single stages on my bolt guns... and pistols...  hah

I'd suggest a JP trigger if you're going for a single stage, Gieselle for 2 stage.  I use a #3 single stage.-- though it can be obnoxiously light-feeling, due to the crispness (this trigger is borderline 1911 good as far as triggers go)

Today I was able to grind out 3/4moa off of my SPR build using match ammo--- It's only Free floated with a good trigger... and chrome lined to boot!...hat
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I feel the same way. I do have 2 stage triggers on my 2 main rifles but the only reason I have 'em is because everyone else says it the only way to go. My bolt guns are single stage and I shoot them very well. I have 1 single stage factory trigger from Bushmaster that has had lighter springs and the roughness cleaned up but I don't see an advantage in 2 stage triggers. Too much take-up. I want to try a good single stage.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Use the JP trigger and it a HUGE difference. Stick with a nice single stage trigger and you will be happy.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 for single stage. I run Timney's and love them. I never understood the point of adding another step to your shooting technique (take up slack) unless it is required by the situation (match shooting to minimize final pull weight or maybe tactical work to slightly minimize the chance of popping a round off before perfectly set). Besides a trigger and more time behind it, a barrel is the next most productive improvement, beyond that, you hit the wall of diminishing returns (lapping bolt to barrel extension for example, time consuming, pricey, and barely noticeable improvement). Accuracy is about perfectly repeated form, and unfortunately, I don't know of any easy ways to help reach that goal.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top