Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 3:21:53 PM EDT
I am on my 2nd build and made a boneheaded move. I ordered a 14.5 barrel with the flash hider permanently attached. I figured it would go great under the 13.2 Larue forearm I already had.
I had completely forgot about needing to have the LT barrel nut (instead of the standard barrel nut) in place before the FH is attached. So I am looking at this mess of AR-15 parts and no AR-15 to show for it all and came up with 3 solutions.

1) Probably the easiest and most correct way to deal with this problem is to sell of the LT forearm cheap to finance the purchase of a Troy or MI 2 piece rail and a clamp on barrel nut. (who makes one that will fit under a LT forearm?) If I understand correctly all that is needed is for these rails to have the standard barrel nut in place to clamp to.

2) However.....If I really wanted to keep the LT forearm I could cut off the existing barrel nut and flash hider. (I have cut bearing journals and locking collars off of shafts before with minimal damage to the shaft.) I would not be that concerned with some scratches on the barrel, after all it will be covered by the forearm. BTW It would also give it that "operator" look . I am not to crazy about this idea due to the elevated chance of failure and the amount of work involved. Its just that I really like the LT forearm.

3) Lastly, I could have the barrel sent off to have the FH removed, the right barrel nut put on, and then reattached. Is this even possible? Another correct and easy fix but I am concerned about the cost and time it would take to have it done. I need to have this AR done by the 18th of this month.

Does anbody have any other ideas?

Come on ARFCOM, shit some knowledge on me!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am on my 2nd build and made a boneheaded move. I ordered a 14.5 barrel with the flash hider permanently attached. I figured it would go great under the 13.2 Larue forearm I already had.
I had completely forgot about needing to have the LT barrel nut (instead of the standard barrel nut) in place before the FH is attached. So I am looking at this mess of AR-15 parts and no AR-15 to show for it all and came up with 3 solutions.

1) Probably the easiest and most correct way to deal with this problem is to sell of the LT forearm cheap to finance the purchase of a Troy or MI 2 piece rail and a clamp on barrel nut. (who makes one that will fit under a LT forearm?) If I understand correctly all that is needed is for these rails to have the standard barrel nut in place to clamp to.

Troy is probably the simplest solution.

2) However.....If I really wanted to keep the LT forearm I could cut off the existing barrel nut and flash hider. (I have cut bearing journals and locking collars off of shafts before with minimal damage to the shaft.) I would not be that concerned with some scratches on the barrel, after all it will be covered by the forearm. BTW It would also give it that "operator" look . I am not to crazy about this idea due to the elevated chance of failure and the amount of work involved. Its just that I really like the LT forearm.

what about the gas block?  you still have to get the nut on the other side of the block.  there are 2 piece blocks, but more $$

3) Lastly, I could have the barrel sent off to have the FH removed, the right barrel nut put on, and then reattached. Is this even possible? Another correct and easy fix but I am concerned about the cost and time it would take to have it done. I need to have this AR done by the 18th of this month.

If you got the money... You can get the FH removed Its a PITA.  FH is usually trash after.  And I dont think the stress of un-attaching and reattaching the FH would be good for the barrel.

There are a few ways to attach a FH, but this is the right way.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Build a second upper.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Troy is probably the simplest solution.

what about the gas block?  you still have to get the nut on the other side of the block.  there are 2 piece blocks, but more $$

If you got the money... You can get the FH removed Its a PITA.  FH is usually trash after.  And I dont think the stress of un-attaching and reattaching the FH would be good for the barrel.

There are a few ways to attach a FH, but this is the right way.
ar15barrels.com/tech/permanent-attach-steps.jpg

Yeah, you got me I put the comment about the gas block in the wrong solution.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Build a second upper.  

+1 for that solutions...

I just built another M14 because I couldn't get a good mount for my Trijicon on my Sage

No excuses, you screwed up and need another gun now...

OH NO!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:34:27 AM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:

4.  Sell your barrel on EE, buy another barrel with proper nut on it.

5.  Keep your barrel for future build, buy another barrel with proper nut on it.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Submit ATF Form-1 and Register that lower as an SBR…
Send the barrel off and have it cut down to 13 ½” and re-threaded ($75)…
Use different barrel in the mean-time…

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top