Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2008 9:52:32 AM EDT
I recently put together a Bushmaster Dissipator upper (M4 profile with the shorter gas system) with a Double Star lower and a standard A2 stock.  I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet but I got to wondering, do I or should I use something other than a standard buffer?  I mean, does the shorter gas system require a heavier buffer?
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#1]
it doesn't require one, but a heavier one might be worth the purchase.

Someone that has one might pipe up with a recommendation for a recommend buffer, but I have heard any where from h1 to 9mm for dissy builds.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I've shot mine on several different lowers with different buffers and didn't notice any difference.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#3]
You are fine with the standard rifle buffer.  If you use the shorter CAR or M4 Tactical type buttstock then the shorter, different weight carbine buffers may come into play.

A2/A1 rifle stock (receiver ext) = rifle buffer and spring.

CAR, M4 tactical collapsible type stocks (receiver ext) = carbine buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I recently put together a Bushmaster Dissipator upper (M4 profile with the shorter gas system) with a Double Star lower and a standard A2 stock.  I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet but I got to wondering, do I or should I use something other than a standard buffer?  I mean, does the shorter gas system require a heavier buffer?

All of the different buffer weights are for collapsible stock buffers.  Fixed stock buffers only come in one weight unless you're getting into some kind of semi-exotic IPSC race gun stuff.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to all of you for clearing that up.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top