Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 6:21:04 PM EDT
I'm a newb here, and this might be a easy fix, I just want to ask before I do anything. I have DPMS Upper and Lower, the rear take down pin will not come out unless I loosen the stock and the plate that holds the detent spring in. What should I do to correct this?

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You could try changing out your detent pin. Maybe just turn the one you have around and see if that works.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, check for burrs or pointy edges on the detent.

You might just have a tight fit between your receivers. Try squeezing them together when you push on the takedown pin.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it possible that the takedown pin just needs to "worked" a little bit? Maybe it'll get better over time? Or is the detent just really binding that badly?

I have in the past been known to put just a very, very, very small dot of gun oil in the little groove of both takedown pins. This may not be correct procedure, but it hasn't appeared to have been harmful so far and sure makes it easier to get those pins out.

YMMV...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I put my whole assy together for the first time last weekend and experienced the same thing. I had to tap it out with a punch a few times, and back and forth until it "wore in" like you say. I think it just had to go over the sharp edge a few times before it started working right. I think I probably pushed it lock to lock both ways 50 times or so with a little lovin and it's slick as snot now. ;) New parts with spring tension and sharp edges sometimes just need to be shown how to do what you want them to do I think.

g
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is it possible that the takedown pin just needs to "worked" a little bit?

YMMV...

+1

Lube it up, and give it time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Some pins come pointier than others.  In that case, I file the pin just a little to round it out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Based on your description, your pin or spring may be too long.  Once the stock is loosened, it allows enought room for the pin to back out from the detent.

Trim a few turns off the spring and see if that solves the problem.  It'll also help if it's just some rough edges that are making it tight.

C97
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Went through this exact thing two days ago.  

Take your pin out and find the least "pointy" end,  thats the end you want touching the slot in the takedown pin.    

If the least pointy end still has a flat tip or a tiny ridge like mine still did,  3 minutes on a needle file ended up making it work perfectly.

400 to 600 grit sandpaper wetted with some lube might be just perfect for this.  

Before I screwed with mine, I had to use a punch and hammer to get it out.  The problem is the ridge at the tip of the pin,   Or the ridge in the drilled hole located at either end of the takedown pin.          

The latter being fixable by taking a small drill bit (by hand) and "countersink" the holes in the takedown pin.  

But of course you want to modify the cheaper part first, the detent pin.  

Good luck, this is hardly a problem.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top